144hz on RTX2060?

Ceriumin

Hey guys, so I am just about to buy an RTX2060 and my monitor is acting out on me and slowly breaking therefore I am considering on buying a new monitor after I get the graphics card. I have considered buying a 144hz one but I mostly play AAA games such as Hitman 2, RDR2, The Witcher 3 all those types of games. I pop onto CS:GO and Minecraft so they can run at 144fps however I am concerned that after I buy the 144hz one, all my AAA games will feel sluggish running at 60fps. Is it worth it getting it only to play 2 or 3 games or am I better of getting a nicer 60fps G-sync curved monitor? Thanks!

You should be able to hit higher than 60 on all those games lol.  I do on a 1070...

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, Samfisher said:

You should be able to hit higher than 60 on all those games lol.  I do on a 1070...

About 60-90 but the question is will they feel sluggish and unplayable? Such as Red Dead Redemption 2 etc. I also prefer to game at highest settings and I don't want to lower them.

1 minute ago, Ceriumin said:

About 60-90 but the question is will they feel sluggish and unplayable? Such as Red Dead Redemption 2 etc. I also prefer to game at highest settings and I don't want to lower them.

If you don't want to lower them then I'm not sure whether you can even hit 60 consistently for games today, let alone games in the future.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

i mean, 60fps on a 144hz monitor will look and feel the same as 60fps on a 60hz monitor.

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i mean, 60fps on a 144hz monitor will look and feel the same as 60fps on a 60hz monitor.

It will? A lot of people say they cannot go back to 60fps as 144fps feels smoother, that is the primary reason I am worried, because then I will feel like games like Red Dead will run slow and will be unplayable

15 minutes ago, Ceriumin said:

It will? A lot of people say they cannot go back to 60fps as 144fps feels smoother, that is the primary reason I am worried, because then I will feel like games like Red Dead will run slow and will be unplayable

That’s Hz, not FPS. You will still have a 144hz monitor, you will just not reach 144fpw on all games. 

I would strongly recommend switching to 144hz, in the current market the prices are getting lower so it wouldn’t be a bad investment, general tasks and mouse aim in games such as csgo will feel more responsive.

1ms response time is a must have on a 144hz.

Also with a 2060 most games would definitely run higher than 60fps.

18 minutes ago, Mupik said:

I would strongly recommend switching to 144hz, in the current market the prices are getting lower so it wouldn’t be a bad investment, general tasks and mouse aim in games such as csgo will feel more responsive.

1ms response time is a must have on a 144hz.

Also with a 2060 most games would definitely run higher than 60fps.

Ill have a look at it then, some games like I said Red Dead 2, will be around 60 and I don't know if they will feel unplayable, or newer games which will come out.

1 hour ago, Ceriumin said:

Ill have a look at it then, some games like I said Red Dead 2, will be around 60 and I don't know if they will feel unplayable, or newer games which will come out.

generally single player games like red dead and witcher or whatever will rarely achieve 144fps even with a 2080, and they feel smooth and playable at 60-90 fps. the benefit of 144hz is in multiplayer shooter/driving games, where you want everything to be extra smooth

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

generally single player games like red dead and witcher or whatever will rarely achieve 144fps even with a 2080, and they feel smooth and playable at 60-90 fps. the benefit of 144hz is in multiplayer shooter/driving games, where you want everything to be extra smooth

Oh okay, at least that is covered up, that was the main reason I was worried, about singleplayer games feeling sluggish because they can't play at 144fps. Thank you!