Suggestions for lighting

After seeing a few videos from Linus on streaming setup I decided top post this question here.

My wife started a TikTok channel after the lockdown prevented her from pursing another business opportunity that was about to get off the ground. She is doing well with consistent growth and I've being buying hardware to support her channel. She records and edits on a Huawei P30 pro and doesn't want to edit on her MacBook Pro. I ordered a few things for her when she hit previous milestones and she is happy with her audio and tripods.

• Rode SmartLav+ w/ USB C to 3.5mm adapter
  • Joby GripTight GorillaPod Stand PRO
  • JOBY JB01550-BWW TelePod Mobile

The main thing I want to upgrade now is her lighting. Sadly, we don't have the space for a dedicated recording area with box lights. The lighting needs to be easy to use and should not add significant delay to setup. As you can see in the photo, space is limited and she records from our dining room table. My computer is in the opposite corner. As she is about to hit another big milestone I'm looking to improve her lighting. I would like something small and easy to use. I've heard that the Elgato Air is good but they are £240 for a pair and I don't know how well they will work if the subject is farther away. I'm wondering if a ring light would be suitable. I've also seen that Chinese lanterns can be good but it seems difficult to get high CRI bulbs in the OK. As the content will be viewed on the phone, I don't think it requires the same level of hardware as 4k Youtube content. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Elgato Air £120

Neewer 18-inch LED Ring Light Kit £77

Yongnuo YN300 Air Pro £40

Neewer Dimmable 176 LED  £30

Neewer 2 Packs Portable Lighting Kit Dimmable 5600K £37

VILTROX L116T £30

UNRN2j2l.jpgNeewer 18-inch Outer Dimmable SMD LED Ring Light Kit with Light Stand Bluetooth Receiver Smartphone Holder Hot Shoe Adapter for Photo Studio YouTube Video Shooting(No Carry Bag)Neewer 2 Packs Portable Photography Lighting Kit Dimmable 5600K USB 66 LED Video Light with Mini Adjustable Tripod Stand and Color Filters for Table Top/Low Angle Photo Video Studio ShootingYongnuo YN300 Air Pro LED Video Light with 3200-5500K Color Temperature Adjustable for Canon Nikon DSLR Camera DV and CamcorderFront and back image of Elgato Key Light Air

Gigabyte Aorus 15G :: i7-10870H CPU :: 3080 :: DDR4 3200 2x16GB :: 1TB + 2TB SSD :: Gigabyte M32Q :: Edifier MR4

2 minutes ago, silk186 said:

high CRI bulbs

CRI is not a great way of choosing which light to get.

Just now, Tom_nerd said:

CRI is not a great way of choosing which light to get.

I don't really have any experience with lighting, what is a better way?

Gigabyte Aorus 15G :: i7-10870H CPU :: 3080 :: DDR4 3200 2x16GB :: 1TB + 2TB SSD :: Gigabyte M32Q :: Edifier MR4

Just now, silk186 said:

what is a better way?

well it may sound a little time consuming but have a look at reviews of the light that you are considering. I would recommend going for a really powerful halogen light that you could either apply a diffuser to or point it at a wall/ceiling. or is the ceiling considered a wall? anyway just point it at something and get it to reflect onto the subject

I like the value of the light, but this would be sitting on my dinning room table behind the camera. Space limitation really restrict my options.

3 minutes ago, silk186 said:

Space limitation really restrict my options.

they are quite small 🙂

I've used them in a workshop and they do light an area, but they produce a lot of heat and they are bright enough that I would not want one on a table in front of me.

Does anyone have experience using something like the Neewer 18" LED ring compared to Neewer 2x LED panel.

I'd just go with the ring light it will be fine. I've got a single LED pannel at less than 1/4 output and it lights my camcorder used at my desk just fine.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 6/28/2020 at 6:32 AM, silk186 said:

After seeing a few videos from Linus on streaming setup I decided top post this question here.

My wife started a TikTok channel after the lockdown prevented her from pursing another business opportunity that was about to get off the ground. She is doing well with consistent growth and I've being buying hardware to support her channel. She records and edits on a Huawei P30 pro and doesn't want to edit on her MacBook Pro. I ordered a few things for her when she hit previous milestones and she is happy with her audio and tripods.

• Rode SmartLav+ w/ USB C to 3.5mm adapter
  • Joby GripTight GorillaPod Stand PRO
  • JOBY JB01550-BWW TelePod Mobile

The main thing I want to upgrade now is her lighting. Sadly, we don't have the space for a dedicated recording area with box lights. The lighting needs to be easy to use and should not add significant delay to setup. As you can see in the photo, space is limited and she records from our dining room table. My computer is in the opposite corner. As she is about to hit another big milestone I'm looking to improve her lighting. I would like something small and easy to use. I've heard that the Elgato Air is good but they are £240 for a pair and I don't know how well they will work if the subject is farther away. I'm wondering if a ring light would be suitable. I've also seen that Chinese lanterns can be good but it seems difficult to get high CRI bulbs in the OK. As the content will be viewed on the phone, I don't think it requires the same level of hardware as 4k Youtube content. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Elgato Air £120

Neewer 18-inch LED Ring Light Kit £77

Yongnuo YN300 Air Pro £40

Neewer Dimmable 176 LED  £30

Neewer 2 Packs Portable Lighting Kit Dimmable 5600K £37

VILTROX L116T £30

UNRN2j2l.jpgNeewer 18-inch Outer Dimmable SMD LED Ring Light Kit with Light Stand Bluetooth Receiver Smartphone Holder Hot Shoe Adapter for Photo Studio YouTube Video Shooting(No Carry Bag)Neewer 2 Packs Portable Photography Lighting Kit Dimmable 5600K USB 66 LED Video Light with Mini Adjustable Tripod Stand and Color Filters for Table Top/Low Angle Photo Video Studio ShootingYongnuo YN300 Air Pro LED Video Light with 3200-5500K Color Temperature Adjustable for Canon Nikon DSLR Camera DV and CamcorderFront and back image of Elgato Key Light Air

Dude you live in a white box. Block out the window, get some ultra bright LED's (not panels), or even Halogens from Home Depot, and bounce them off the walls and ceilings.

KA-BOOM!

Beautiful, soft, natural looking light, without the nasty color contamination you'll get from the window.

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

So if you want to do good lighting wise yes aim for High CRI lights but thats only part of the equation, you need to also decide on bounce light vs front facing vs multi point.  But honestly always avoid ring lights in front facing situations unless you want the eye ring look.  The eye ring look is that the eyes of who ever is facing the lights on camera will have a ring in each eye because of the light.  Those ring lights were meant for the photographer to shoot through with the model close enough that the ring would light only the subjects face and not the whole scene. 

A panel light is good if you want a single light shined right on your subject but the other way to go is to use a bounce light which would be more of a spot light.  You aim it at the celing or wall and aim it so that the light bounces off the surface and on to the subject.  This will create a smother more even lighting on your subject and immediate surroundings.