Storage Device curse

Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
19 minutes ago, _kukuru said:

My question is, is it really because of the power failure? Is there's any other reason why my drive keeps failing?

Drives fail over time, just like anything susceptible to mechanical wear and tear or NAND flash cell breakdown. I've had brand new drives from all manufacturers die on me within 1 year of ownership, and I've got drives of all manufacturers still running fine after 10+ years of heavy use. Anything mechanical begins to die the moment its' powered on, so when it comes to hard drives, one should expect the drive to fail at some point between the time it leaves the factory and 1 day to 15 years into the future, give or take.

Can power cause a drive to have problems? Sure, but usually unless you physically fry a capacitor or power circuitry on the drive, you're not actually causing problems due to power fluctuations. What is more likely to happen when you power off a drive that's still writing data is filesystem corruption, which can sometimes be repaired by Windows disk scans or other software-based recovery tools. That being said, OCZ SSDs were not known to be reliable, and your 2nd drive is a used drive so you have no idea what kind of abuse it was put through before you started using it.

I wouldn't say you're cursed in any way - not by a long shot. You've just had bad luck with your first new drive, then were using 2 additional drives that were of dubious quality due to OCZ SSDs being problematic and that 330GB (? size is probably wrong cause I don't recall that being a standard drive size) used Seagate drive.

Hello, I have this storage device errors keep happening to me.

My first drive was a brand new 500gb Seagate Barracuda attached to my pc. It went bad sector. My local computer mechanic said it was because the PC oftentimes turned off because of power failure. Okay that was acceptable.

The second one was a second hand 256gb ssd ocz vector. It was run normally until it died and bios didn't recognized it after another power failure.

Lastly, I bought a second hand 330gb Seagate HDD as replacement and now, run the computer with 1100v APC UPS. I'm really sure, this time it wouldn't broke. But now this thing is making scratching sounds when I run the computer, and BSOTDs with Memory Management error. Then, after restart, it won't boot. I force restarted it and now it's "Fixing (C:)....".

My question is, is it really because of the power failure? Is there's any other reason why my drive keeps failing?

Thanks in advance

19 minutes ago, _kukuru said:

Drives fail over time, just like anything susceptible to mechanical wear and tear or NAND flash cell breakdown. I've had brand new drives from all manufacturers die on me within 1 year of ownership, and I've got drives of all manufacturers still running fine after 10+ years of heavy use. Anything mechanical begins to die the moment its' powered on, so when it comes to hard drives, one should expect the drive to fail at some point between the time it leaves the factory and 1 day to 15 years into the future, give or take.

Can power cause a drive to have problems? Sure, but usually unless you physically fry a capacitor or power circuitry on the drive, you're not actually causing problems due to power fluctuations. What is more likely to happen when you power off a drive that's still writing data is filesystem corruption, which can sometimes be repaired by Windows disk scans or other software-based recovery tools. That being said, OCZ SSDs were not known to be reliable, and your 2nd drive is a used drive so you have no idea what kind of abuse it was put through before you started using it.

I wouldn't say you're cursed in any way - not by a long shot. You've just had bad luck with your first new drive, then were using 2 additional drives that were of dubious quality due to OCZ SSDs being problematic and that 330GB (? size is probably wrong cause I don't recall that being a standard drive size) used Seagate drive.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 11:38 AM, kirashi said:

Hey sorry for late reply but thanks for the info. Never knew the quality of OCZ are bad, especially a second hand one, and sorry the Seagate is 320.