Help Identifying / Checking Front Panel IO Cables

Vilheim
Go to solution Solved by Zagna,

Pictures of the GD30 show that ASUS really did use SATA ports rewired for USB 3.0 it seems. Guessing them being able to lock and have enough pins.

I wouldn't attach them to actual SATA ports, would do nothing.

You would need to figure out the wiring internally and then rig up some custom SATA/USB adapters, imo too much hassle.

Not sure if this is the best section to be posting this on but figured it made sense.

So I purchased a Demo case from Staples and realized the IO cables were not identified. I figured that would not be an issue as I could just find a manual online.

Unfortunately the case was never (as far as I can tell) sold separately and was used for pre built ASUS systems, specifically the ROG STRIX GD30CI.

The specifications list the following for front IO:

1 x 6 -in-1 Card Reader
1 x Headphone
1 x Microphone
2 x USB 2.0
2x USB 3.1 Gen 1

I have been able to locate the power, front audio, and USB connectors but there are also 4 SATAIII connectors and a 3 pin cable coming out from the front IO that I cannot identify. I tried to open up the top to see where they lead, but it has been taped down on top (directly to the ports) and 2 way taped inside I believe.

I assume the SATA is for the USB? But that would be a bummer as it would take 4 of the 8 ports on my motherboard. Not a clue about the other cable as it goes up to the ports above.

The Green and Blue connectors I identified as USB and Audio which was easy enough to sort out.

Identified.jpg

Sata Connectors.jpg

3 pin cable.jpg

The SATA cables are probably for hotswappable harddrives, there should be slots where you can just slide a harddrive into the case, the 3 pin cable looks like an addressable rgb header which you plug into your motherboard. The USB ports on the front don't use the SATA cables but rather the USB header. You should find the manual for the case and see what it says they do.

Pictures of the GD30 show that ASUS really did use SATA ports rewired for USB 3.0 it seems. Guessing them being able to lock and have enough pins.

You would need to figure out the wiring internally and then rig up some custom SATA/USB adapters, imo too much hassle.

Just now, Zagna said:

Thanks, the Mobo (TUF GAMING X570-PLUS) thankfully has enough USB ports for me on its own. Means I will pass up on the convenience of front USB 3, but I can deal with that. I still like the style of the case overall, and for $50 Canadian it is pretty decent.

11 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

The SATA cables are probably for hotswappable harddrives, there should be slots where you can just slide a harddrive into the case, the 3 pin cable looks like an addressable rgb header which you plug into your motherboard. The USB ports on the front don't use the SATA cables but rather the USB header. You should find the manual for the case and see what it says they do.

Unfortunately they are not for drives, I know I didn't show the rest of the case, but they end at the front IO block. Apparently ASUS actually used a modified SATA connector in this case. As it was a prebuilt and the case was not available separately (hence no user guide) it worked. I think I also read that the Mobo was custom as well, thankfully my x570 fits.

You might be right on the RGB header, but I don't see any RGB lighting built into the case itself, it just goes up into the front IO block and stops.

245802511_2020-06-2021_11.24www_ebay.comf75e46949777.jpg.2cf08d5373e993b28f50cc3440b93570.jpg

Shown in an image on eBay, there's separate SATA ports, then there's 4 ports with U2_1, U3_1, U3_2 and a fourth that's hard to tell.

And the 3 pin cable is labeled USB_PWR1.

So they simply replaced old flaky USB headers with locking SATA ports.