NCIX says I should get a min. 750W for Titan Black and Haswell??

Go to solution Solved by Bonsai99,

Go with what Nvidia says. It is their card, you would expect them to know about it the best.

Nvidia is assuming you are going to be using some middle of the road piece of crap power supply.

I ordered it with a be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W (Seasonic OEM with better capacitors and quieter fan). Now, from my knowledge, and everything I've read in these (and other) forums, 550W (with a 610W Peak) should be plenty for: 

• Asus Maximus VI Impact
  • G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB 1866MHz
  • i7-4770k
  • h100i
  • Noctua NF-F12 (x2)
  • Corsair Case fan (x1)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
  • WD Black 1TB
  • eVGA Titan Black (ordered the ACX cooler from eVGA too)

You will be more than fine (see video below)

So iffy. They sent my another warning today.

They're just telling you that because its going to be a lot more work if it fails and part of good service is making sure everything goes smoothly and they don't come back unless its buying a new product.

See, that's what I keep telling NCIX.

Now, since they're assembling and "stress testing" the system, I hope that they honestly stress-test my system. I told them to use my 550W PSU (again: be quiet! DPP 550W) and, only if it fails the testing, to talk to me again and we can move up to 650-750W depending on availability of parts. 

And, in that scenario, I wanted signed documentation from the technician stating that the 550W PSU is not enough for the build. Based on the number of professional reviewers on this topic (outside of these forums), I am going to trust them that the 550W should be plenty. What's the point of researching the best PSU for your system if you're just going to go overkill. This is an mITX system. One PCI-e slot. No room for expansion anywhere.

I ran the outervision calculator again, and I tested extreme numbers, max overclock, 100% TDP, 100% system load, max fans I can fit in the case, max peripherals I could attach, and it still capped at about 540W. Yes. That is awfully close to my 550W PSU (which, by the way, has a peak output of 610W). But what real-life scenario that would push my system that far? I'm not benchmarking. I'm using it for professional applications and some games.

I dunno how stressing, in terms of power, Cuda Compute Apps will be. That would be about the max I would be putting on my system. Games in 1080p would just run off the Titan Black's back.

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Featured by NCIXEsther: Titan-Stuffed 250D

OC3D did a great video on how many Watts you need :) (I'll post a link when I'm on the PC :) )

AznKnight82, on 28 Feb 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

So iffy. They sent my another warning today.

If they are really concerned with having to recable if the stress test fails, then they should test the system outside the case first before assembling it all together. Honestly, 550w is really more than enough with even some headroom for a mild oc. Watch TTL video.