Can't delete a file

Juanmacaam

Hello! I had an electricity blackout while I was exporting a project on Premiere CS6. After rebootinh the PC, Premiere made me uninstall it and re-install it because of error 16. So far so good, but in the folder where I was exporting, that happens to be my Desktop, I now have a "file" that I can't delete. It's called s36c. (yeah, with a dot at the end) and I can't do anything to it, change its name, move it, delete it, delete it using cmd, nothing. The system can't find the file, but I can still see it on the Desktop.

Screenshot_2.png.7e396687ee48742dcb78911e57fe64e4.png

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.bffb923fa4208d92776b2baebba209cf.png

I don't know much about these kinds of issues, but maybe refreshing your desktop could resolve the problem? Try right clicking the desktop and selecting the refresh option. I don't know if it will work, but it's a simple thing to do and it couldn't hurt to try.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried :( thank you anyways!

Okay, it seems like malware or virus infection. Anyway, first delete this file through "Wise force deleter" utility. Afterwards, scan your computer with a good antivirus or anti-malware like Zemana, HirmanPro, Malwarebytes etc.

Don't forget to use "/f" after del command if you do delete it through command prompt. Here's an example:

image.png.60f7d5e634ecfa2a91dfe82a4c1e8984.png

Unlocker is also a good utility to delete files forcefully.

21 minutes ago, Nishant Kumar said:

Don't forget to use "/f" after del command if you do delete it through command prompt.

Yep, tried that also, didn't work because it's like the file doesn't exist, the system can't find it, but it displays it on the desktop for no reason.

33 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

if not try this program https://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/ it might be able to forcefully delete the file.

I'll give this a try and I'll let you know!

I was just with the chat support of Microsoft and the guy at the other end couldn't find a solution, tried various commands and some other things, file's still there.

Also, Windows doesn't even seem to decide on the size of the file haha.

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_1.png

@Nishant Kumar @vaiwalker Unlocker did not work either, it showed an error and tried to delete it "on the nex restart", after restarting the PC, the little bastard is still there.

11 hours ago, Nishant Kumar said:

Okay. We suggest that you please scan your computer with Malwarebytes and HitmanPro and then run Adware Removal Tool.

I think that wouldn't have helped, since I knew it wasn't malware, rather it was a Windows' glitch. I successfully deleted it by using my Ubuntu dual boot and accessing the Windows c drive from there. Thank you very much though!

Glad to know that the issue has been fixed. If you have dual boot then this would be the best option to delete this type of file or folder.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:26 PM, Nishant Kumar said:

Glad to know that the issue has been fixed. If you have dual boot then this would be the best option to delete this type of file or folder.

Yes! I've thought also that it could be possible to delete it from WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) but I didn't try. A guy on the Windows forum answered that it was an invalid name and because of that, Windows wasn't able to deal with it. He purposed this command: del  "\\?\c:\users\Juanm\desktop\s36c.". I'll leave it here in case it comes handy to someone else, I didn't try it, so I don't know if it works, but it seems legit haha.

Oh, also. The guy got mad at me for asking in the forum and then saying that I've alredy solved it using Ubuntu, I'm glad you didn't :D. Sorry if I wasted your time!

16 hours ago, Juanmacaam said:

Yes! I've thought also that it could be possible to delete it from WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) but I didn't try. A guy on the Windows forum answered that it was an invalid name and because of that, Windows wasn't able to deal with it. He purposed this command: del  "\\?\c:\users\Juanm\desktop\s36c.". I'll leave it here in case it comes handy to someone else, I didn't try it, so I don't know if it works, but it seems legit haha.

Oh, also. The guy got mad at me for asking in the forum and then saying that I've alredy solved it using Ubuntu, I'm glad you didn't :D. Sorry if I wasted your time!

Thanks for sharing your research with me here. Yes, others will surely get help with your solution and research.