Will it be okay? Z170

hi everyone , 

i purchased a Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3 from ebay for £17.50! 

The seller said that it powers on and post which is great but then went on to say that the reason for selling is because the PSU inside the PC at the time failed/died and they didn't know if it had any lasting damaged to the motherboard, would the PSU failing damage or at least show any sign of damage?

the motherboard is pretty much brand new 

as always any help is really appreciated 

The only way of knowing if it works or not is by trying it 

A failing PSU can mean alot of things 

Did it explode ? Did it die quietly ? Did catch fire ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Thats pretty much impossible to say until you get it and run some tests on it. However if the previous owner swapped the psu and the pc still booted itll probably be fine.

Most of the time the MAinboart is fine when the PSU dies... you just can try if it works because PSUs can die in many different was and can take componets with them 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

The only way of knowing if it works or not is by trying it 

A failing PSU can mean alot of things 

Did it explode ? Did it die quietly ? Did catch fire ?

The passing of the PSU is a Mystery to me as the seller only said the following:

'Here I have for sale my Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 motherboard which I am selling for spares or repair.

This motherboard was taken from a system where the power supply had failed.

It does power on and boot but I have no way of knowing if it has sustained any damage when the PSU failed. Therefore I am selling the item as spares or repair.

i am going to test it all out but wanted to see if anyone knew any typical things that could happen to a motherboard if a PSU fails.

i dont think the psu blew up or caught fire or anything like that as the board looks mint!

2 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

Most of the time the MAinboart is fine when the PSU dies... you just can try if it works because PSUs can die in many different was and can take componets with them 

okay thankyou i will try 

4 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

Thats pretty much impossible to say until you get it and run some tests on it. However if the previous owner swapped the psu and the pc still booted itll probably be fine.

okay thankyou for the reply 

1 minute ago, KSKGAMETV said:

i dont think the psu blew up or caught fire or anything like that as the board looks mint!

If the PSU did that doesn't mean the mobo will have marks 

If it exploded the mobo could have the required protection but we can't know for sure unless you test it 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If the PSU did that doesn't mean the mobo will have marks 

If it exploded the mobo could have the required protection but we can't know for sure unless you test it 

okay i will do some testing and get back you all