Programming Competitions

RobL

no i have a netbook with fedora... the system is 2gb ram, intel atom and a 35gb ssd nothing special

Then why did you mention this?

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

all i saw was linux in a couple of posts... just wanted to contribute :D 

Character artist in the Games industry.

all i saw was linux in a couple of posts... just wanted to contribute :D

Please try not to derail future topics. If you want to talk about Linux there are plenty of threads in the Operating Systems and Software subforum B) .

The old forum.

Firstly, not all programmers use Linux. ( I know most of them use it, even I use it, but there are some people who still use windows). So is Linux going to be our primary development OS?

If we are going to use Linux, as it was mentioned earlier we can get a linux virtual machine set up on the Internets and create private accounts on it. You can ssh into them and start programming. All of the user accounts will have no admin privileges and most of the compilers would be installed. So cheating is, with no admin/super user privileges, very difficult if we use this solution.

Or

We could setup a git/svn server on the linux VM where one can upload his/her source code (create repositories of their programs which can be downloaded easily using the terminal). This would remove the operating system limitations, if it is a limitation. One of the draw backs of this is that the source code would be visible to the public. Correct me if I am wrong. But this could increase the possibility of cheating.

Does anyone have any other solution. I think the first one is a doable solution.

Firstly, not all programmers use Linux. ( I know most of them use it, even I use it, but there are some people who still use windows). So is Linux going to be our primary development OS?

If we are going to use Linux, as it was mentioned earlier we can get a linux virtual machine set up on the Internets and create private accounts on it. You can ssh into them and start programming. All of the user accounts will have no admin privileges and most of the compilers would be installed. So cheating is, with no admin/super user privileges, very difficult if we use this solution.

Or

We could setup a git/svn server on the linux VM where one can upload his/her source code (create repositories of their programs which can be downloaded easily using the terminal). This would remove the operating system limitations, if it is a limitation. One of the draw backs of this is that the source code would be visible to the public. Correct me if I am wrong. But this could increase the possibility of cheating.

Does anyone have any other solution. I think the first one is a doable solution.

What? -_- MikeD posted his college used a program called Mooshak for program submition. The problem with this is that it only runs on Linux so I was wondering if anyone had a dedicated Linux machine to run the program at certain times for program submission.

The old forum.

Oh God I should really read all posts properly. Sorry about that. Mooshack would be a good idea but sorry i do have a two linux boxes at home but a really bad internet connection.

But wouldn't it be easier if the judges themselves could run the program in the terminal on the VM itself instead of copy pasting each and every program from the website?

Please try not to derail future topics. If you want to talk about Linux there are plenty of threads in the Operating Systems and Software subforum B) .

Thats a little rude i dont think that post was nessacry I dont think Pixxie's post was a bad one at all

Or

I really like your first solution however it wouldnt be too good for the ppl who use IDEs and have no expereince on linux :/ but I still really like it :))

Thats a little rude i dont think that post was nessacry I dont think Pixxie's post was a bad one at all

I wasn't trying to be rude. I think the tone came off a bit harsh though after re-reading it. Sorry Pixxie_Payne

The old forum.

pzt, on 30 Apr 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:snapback.png

we (the programming sub-forum) would like to request a moderator nominated, so we can do programming challenges, and fun stuff like that.

Kinda like how whoever runs the build log of the week but with our own twist. To get hopefully some more traffic in there / help new people to programming learn a bit more in a fun environment.

Obviously We'd like someone who knows about programming which would be one of us.

lemme know what you think about the possibilities of this / maybe pass it on to linus or slick or whoever has the power to make a decision.

and again im speakin on behalf of a bunch of people. Something we have been discussing for a bit now!

Thanks mod team!

While a moderator that spends time on the programming sub-forum isn't out of the question, a forum-specific moderator is not really something we are focusing on at this stage. In the future, however, (this has been mentioned on the live streams) there may be something like a badge system. The programming sub-forum wasn't really implemented until a couple of weeks into the forum's inception, mainly because this is a tech forum, which is probably the reason it doesn't get a whole lot of traffic.

The build log of the week is run by Slick and Linus; Windspeed just compiles the logs into the pinned thread. Personally I know a few languages, however I'm not a frequent poster in the programming sub-forum. I can facilitate competitions if you ask me to, however I think it would be best if you nominated an unofficial member from among yourselves as a facilitator. For major competitions/challenges, I would of course pin threads and provide moderation in that respect.

For reference, the languages I know are pretty much HTML, CSS, Javascript, Python, SQL, Pascal and Visual Basic - none of which are particularly high level languages. You can message me if you need any assistance with setting up competitions. It's certainly a good idea. To give you an example of a facilitator, Whaler_99 was effectively considered the Folding Facilitator prior to becoming a moderator, one of the reasons is that he has the highest number of points on the folding team.

The old forum.

DIM said that^

The old forum.

pzt, on 30 Apr 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:snapback.png

While a moderator that spends time on the programming sub-forum isn't out of the question, a forum-specific moderator is not really something we are focusing on at this stage. In the future, however, (this has been mentioned on the live streams) there may be something like a badge system. The programming sub-forum wasn't really implemented until a couple of weeks into the forum's inception, mainly because this is a tech forum, which is probably the reason it doesn't get a whole lot of traffic.

The build log of the week is run by Slick and Linus; Windspeed just compiles the logs into the pinned thread. Personally I know a few languages, however I'm not a frequent poster in the programming sub-forum. I can facilitate competitions if you ask me to, however I think it would be best if you nominated an unofficial member from among yourselves as a facilitator. For major competitions/challenges, I would of course pin threads and provide moderation in that respect.

For reference, the languages I know are pretty much HTML, CSS, Javascript, Python, SQL, Pascal and Visual Basic - none of which are particularly high level languages. You can message me if you need any assistance with setting up competitions. It's certainly a good idea. To give you an example of a facilitator, Whaler_99 was effectively considered the Folding Facilitator prior to becoming a moderator, one of the reasons is that he has the highest number of points on the folding team.

so how do we want to be the person??

I wouldn't mind :D, but the person who does pick this up should know this will be a lot of work and that everyone else who likes this idea would need to help them.

The old forum.