Read this before using Squarespace

Here is my little story.

My issue isn't that dramatic but at the same time, it is. The reason I'm sharing it is to warn the community and other people before using Squarespace. Don't get me wrong this is not LMG fault, it's more that I know they are being sponsored by them and I know how much it impacts the viewer's deciding factor.

So for the past month, I've been investing a lot of resources building up my website, and because of my needs, I went for the premium tier. At first, everything went fine but once my website was almost up, I realized how screwed I was and all this for a "f*$%-ing" missing feature in the site. YOU CAN NOT choose if a product needs to be taxed or not. My store is 80% natural products that don't need to be taxed, so now you can imagine what kind of problems I'm encountering now. Concerning them, it's all products taxed or nothing "Whaaaaaaat".

Of course, the first thing I did is to contact them and the only answer I got was that this is not possible, how in the world an e-commerce building site doesn't have such a basic and essential feature, Yes yes I know this may only affect such a small percentage of their clients that they don't even care, still, I can't believe the only solution they offered to me was I could submit a suggestion.

Now it seems my best solution is to start building a new web site somewhere else and invest more time and money.

So again to be clear, I've known of Squarespace even before LMG sponsorship. This is not to blame at all LMG is more of a PSA.

I've been following LMG content for years now, I've witnessed the "drama" with tunnelbear even PIA. And I believe that they care and think very well their commercial relationships from an economic and ethical point of view. I don't want them to do anything in particular just let them know.

3 hours ago, joselmg said:

So for the past month, I've been investing a lot of resources building up my website, and because of my needs, I went for the premium tier. At first, everything went fine but once my website was almost up, I realized how screwed I was and all this for a "f*$%-ing" missing feature in the site. YOU CAN NOT choose if a product needs to be taxed or not. My store is 80% natural products that don't need to be taxed, so now you can imagine what kind of problems I'm encountering now. Concerning them, it's all products taxed or nothing "Whaaaaaaat".

As a web designer myself, I totally get that finding out things like this after you've built part of your site can be frustrating, however, this is why it's always best to research the capabilities of a platform before spending your time & money. It's kinda like researching an automobile to ensure the one you purchase is actually capable of towing a 2 ton boat - sure, a Minivan might have a hitch, but you're gonna want to buy 2 or 3 replacement transmissions immediately after driving it off the dealership's lot if your intention is to tow a board with it. (AKA, should have researched to find out a truck is better suited for this task.)

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206540947-Setting-up-taxes-in-Squarespace-Commerce

image.png.2ddc3b0a96cd1091f1de4b144f786868.png

It does appear that Shopify allows you to selectively override tax rates for certain items, which sounds like exactly what you want to do. Of course, if you want full customization of your platform, you'll either have to go with a self-hosted option like WordPress & WooCommerce, or build your own store from scratch.

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206540947-Setting-up-taxes-in-Squarespace-Commerce
image.png.bdcc988d06570d20f36176dd9a411bac.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)