In-Ceiling Surround Recommendations

I know that in-ceiling surround setups are frowned upon - less so than sound bars though.

My living room area is wired in-ceiling speakers. Currently I'm looking at Polk RC80i speakers to put up there for TV/Movies/Music - but it seems like it's their "low-end" in ceiling speaker?

I'd like to have an 8in speaker with a moveable tweeter, something mid-range that has a neutral or maybe a touch warm sound stage. Dolby support is enough, Atmos is nice but I don't see a ton of support for it, so it's not required.

The speakers will likely be powered by the Marantz NR1510, although this isn't confirmed yet.

Any recommendations?

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

Is the room you have setup to actually support a higher end speaker system to tell a difference? The 1510 doesn't have a huge power output, only about 50 watts @ 8ohm. I would honestly try what you have selected first before you delve into anything higher end. If you wanted some better drivers, you will probably want to choose a different receiver, or be looking at amplifiers to push more power to them. Those Polk RC80i's are pretty decently rated speakers, and we have to keep in mind that being realistic is very key to our success and expectations of it. Try what you have picked out, and go from there. Don't try to build your system around something you haven't even heard yet. Try it and you might love it.

4 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Is the room you have setup to actually support a higher end speaker system to tell a difference? The 1510 doesn't have a huge power output, only about 50 watts @ 8ohm. I would honestly try what you have selected first before you delve into anything higher end. If you wanted some better drivers, you will probably want to choose a different receiver, or be looking at amplifiers to push more power to them. Those Polk RC80i's are pretty decently rated speakers, and we have to keep in mind that being realistic is very key to our success and expectations of it. Try what you have picked out, and go from there. Don't try to build your system around something you haven't even heard yet. Try it and you might love it.

After doing some research today, I changed my receiver selection to the Sony STR-DN1080.

I will keep the Polk's for now.

Potato Revamp

CPU: AMD 5900x || GPU: nVidia RTX 3080 || RAM: 32gb Trident Z Neo CL16 || Case: Fractal Torrent Compact || CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 || PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold || Storage: ADATA SX8200 Pro (1TB), 2x Samsung Evo 870 (2TB)

What made you change your mind? Just curious. Is it the price point? Opposed to buying used or last years models?

14 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

What made you change your mind? Just curious. Is it the price point? Opposed to buying used or last years models?

I was reading more reviews, and the Sony came highly recommended and seems to have the sound profile I'm looking for.

I have a 37in TV from 12 years ago, so I'd like to make my overall upgrade count :)

Potato Revamp