Slight performance Issues in windows with i-5 6600k Resolved

Hey guys!

I truly hope this is the correct section to post in, but anyway I wanted to share my experience and maybe solve someone else's problems too.

TL;DR : Overclocking solved the issues

My issues were that the OS (win 10) felt sluggish, not responsive. When I started a program it took a while to open it, but most of all there was lag in registering clicks and keystrokes, not too much, but enough to tilt me.

And yes, I do have an ssd, 2 in fact: a Crucial 240GB (the first I bought when I built the PC) where I storethe os and few other programs and a 1TB m.2 ssd for the bulk of my games and projects.

Moreover the problems started about a year ago (I feel like it's windows security updates for spectre/meltdown etc. that slow things down, let me know if that is possible). I tried a fresh install 6 months ago, but it was useless.
Despite having a 6600k I used to keep it with stock clock speeds, because it didn't provide a justifiable difference in performance compared to consuming around 60% more power from the wall (50 watts non-overclocked, 80 watts with overclock).

Then a couple days ago I connected the dots and thought: "if the performance issues are CPU bound, I can overclock it!"

I loaded the overclocking profile I saved when I first built the pc and puff, no more problems.

Now when I click on a cell in excell it doesn't take half a second to select it, when I change the fonts in word I can see them without delay, when I rotate objects in fusion 360 it doesn't lag behind the cursor, when I open or close a folder
it doesn't wait for my patience to run out. I found happiness again XDXDXD

Although I fixed the problem for now I'm not sure if it was the correct approach or if it will be long lasting.

Let me know what you think and if I helped anybody else

I've seen Windows 10 go sluggish on several systems, but never found a solution other than complete re-install. Choosing my words carefully, I'm not doubting that overclocking "fixed" it for you, but I suspect it is overcoming a problem elsewhere. For example, maybe Windows isn't making the CPU ramp up from idle to normal power fast enough for some reason. Overclocking may cause it to remain in a higher power state. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I agree with you, overclocking solved the sympthoms and not the cause. I feel like it can still be useful as a temporary solution in situations when you don't have a ton of time to dedicate to a fresh install or just don't want to.

I feel reassured now that you have told me a fresh install solved the issue when you encountered it, thanks!

I will go for it in a few months, after I finish my exams and try stock and overclocked again just to see what happens.

4 hours ago, llucioo said:

I feel reassured now that you have told me a fresh install solved the issue when you encountered it, thanks!

I can't say for sure what I saw is exactly what you're seeing either. Software and hardware can have complex interactions and yours might have a different cause from mine. Still, a clean install should sort out any software/driver related problems. If you have a spare drive, you can even do a test install to confirm that. Disconnect your existing OS drive to prevent any unintended changes to it if you do this.

Personally I hate doing clean installs. It takes a fair amount of time to get software installed and configured just how I like it. I'm still using my main system from 5 years ago because of that, although I've moved gaming to more modern systems.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible