Help getting to SAFE mode.

GOAL: Boot into SAFE MODE > Run DDU to remove old GPU drivers > Install new GPU drivers > Update BIOS > Hopefully have my monitor running at 144Hz again and games above 1FPS.

ISSUES:

- Any changes I make seem to revert or are forgotten during restart (MSConfig settings, pinned tabs that have been closed reopen, any form of entering Safe Mode, programs I've set to not open on startup.) the list goes on.

- DDU need to be in safe mode to run.

- All forms of entering Safe mode aren't working (Via Windows settings, holding shift at login>restart button, command, MSconfig menu, F8 spam etc.)

I've had almost zero issues with the system for the last 5yrs until I replaced the CPU Cooler and GPU. Is this normal?

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

I have run DDU without safe mode many times and had no issues, that is going AMD>Nvidia, or Nvidia>Nvidia. Give it a try and see how you get on. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

15 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I have run DDU without safe mode many times and had no issues, that is going AMD>Nvidia, or Nvidia>Nvidia. Give it a try and see how you get on. 

I ran it twice for both Nvidia and AMD as previously I'd previously just tried to install them over the top (woops). Seems to have worked as far as I can tell. Going to install the new GPU drivers and update the BIOS, hopefully that will fix the weird issues stated in the original post.

Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100i Pro - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT 8GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 - Samsung 860 QVO 1TB - Samsung 850 500GB - WD Black 4TB

Just now, M A J O R said:

I ran it twice for both Nvidia and AMD as previously I'd previously just tried to install them over the top (woops). Seems to have worked as far as I can tell. Going to install the new GPU drivers and update the BIOS, hopefully that will fix the weird issues stated in the original post.

Good to hear DDU ran without a hitch!

Please do let me know how you get on!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@GOTSpectrum I thought this might happen, but after I installed the GPU drivers they disappeared after restarting. Would you advise trying to update the BIOS then trying ther GPU drivers again? That's the only possible solution I can think of that would be causing this short term memory loss problem to happen.

1 minute ago, M A J O R said:

@GOTSpectrum I thought this might happen, but after I installed the GPU drivers they disappeared after restarting. Would you advise trying to update the BIOS then trying ther GPU drivers again? That's the only possible solution I can think of that would be causing this short term memory loss problem to happen.

So this issue is happening in OS right? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Yes? Like I said, any changes I make in Windows don't seem to be saved/remembered after I restart the system for whatever reason. Maybe I can try reinstalling windows? Is it possible to do that without loosing all my installed programs etc?

12 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

So this issue is happening in OS right? 

Could also potentially be a virus messing with the HD controller?

4 minutes ago, M A J O R said:

Could also potentially be a virus messing with the HD controller?

'When you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras' A medical term meaning don't come to a crazy diagnosis when a more common place one will fit.

A virus affecting the HDD controller is rare, and would most likely cause issues that are far worse.

What are your full specs? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

'When you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras' A medical term meaning don't come to a crazy diagnosis when a more common place one will fit.

A virus affecting the HDD controller is rare, and would most likely cause issues that are far worse.

What are your full specs? 

You should see them on my profile/ in my signature :)

Updated my profile just now. Everything is the same besides these new parts: GPU RX 5700 XT & H100i Pro CPU Cooler.

Just now, M A J O R said:

You should see them on my profile/ in my signature :)

Wasn't sure if they were up to date, so generally I like to ask. 

I'd install crystal disk info and look at the health of your drives as they are getting on in age. But, that isn't likely to be the issue here.

If it was my system personally, I'd just reinstall windows. A full nuke of both drives will solve almost all software issues. But, if you need to keep files/don't want to do it, then checking the health of your drives and maybe resetting windows 10. You can find this option in 'Update & Security'. This allows you to wipe out most of windows settings and installed programs without losing personal files. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

11 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Wasn't sure if they were up to date, so generally I like to ask. 

I'd install crystal disk info and look at the health of your drives as they are getting on in age. But, that isn't likely to be the issue here.

If it was my system personally, I'd just reinstall windows. A full nuke of both drives will solve almost all software issues. But, if you need to keep files/don't want to do it, then checking the health of your drives and maybe resetting windows 10. You can find this option in 'Update & Security'. This allows you to wipe out most of windows settings and installed programs without losing personal files. 

Now that you mention drive health, I was getting a SMART SSD failure error for my boot drive. I disabled SMART for now to check in Windows if I was having any issues in terms of noticable performance (excluding the potentially unrelated memory loss issue). I have pretty much all important data on my other drives/cloud so I might go ahead and reinstall windows (keeping files), then if the problem persists fully wipe and do a clean install. I assume if I select NOT to keep my files it will only wipe my C drive, and NOT the other two drives correct?

*Also, I tried to install the C.D.Info and it failed, as well as Malewarebytes haha.

@GOTSpectrumOk, so even "Reset this PC" was ignored. It started the process then restarted the PC and she booted as if nothing had happened.

Well then it seems an attempt at a clean install is in order, but with all these issues, I wouldn't be surprised if some hardware replacements are needed. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 hours ago, M A J O R said:

ISSUES:

- Any changes I make seem to revert or are forgotten during restart (MSConfig settings, pinned tabs that have been closed reopen, any form of entering Safe Mode, programs I've set to not open on startup.) the list goes on.

Are you logged in through the domain server or local account? It seems like a temporary profile issue. This article will help with this temporary profile issue: https://www.techsupportall.com/how-to-fix-temporary-profile-in-windows-7/