superMicro server used repurposed

I need help im so new to the server side of things. I started one project and it lead to this thing that a family member was not using for me its some real hard ware. The system boots but has windows server 2008 on it and password is unknown at this time. What do i need to run this as a NAS with unraid. I only have room for 4 drives in this case what do i need for expanding other than a case. Will a hba card with sas work and sas cable to sata. I still have to open her up more and see what hardware im working with and i see this is a dual socket mobo and would like to run a second cpu in it . anything i need to be aware of, like i said before completly new to this . It dose seem to have a 10gb network car with nic on it.  Any info would help where to look and read more info on this. Just having a hard time knowing where to start.

2020-05-28_20_51_10.jpg

2020-05-28_20_51_17.jpg

2020-05-28_20_51_24.jpg

2020-05-28_20_51_38.jpg

Can you show the model of nic that is in it? 10gbe was pretty rare when this system came out, but its possible.

A hba will help add more drives, you can get them pretty cheap. You can also get das boxes like a sa120, or ds4243 for cheap to add lots of drives.

Unraid boots of a usb, so you will need that

I think I have that motherboard, works pretty well, nice and stable for me.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you show the model of nic that is in it? 10gbe was pretty rare when this system came out, but its possible.

A hba will help add more drives, you can get them pretty cheap. You can also get das boxes like a sa120, or ds4243 for cheap to add lots of drives.

Unraid boots of a usb, so you will need that

I think I have that motherboard, works pretty well, nice and stable for me.

ill look into the das boxes to understand better what that is lol. and what cpu is yours running having a hard time getting into the bios to see what i have in this im about to just remove the heat sink and look.

2020-05-28_21_13_38.jpg

Getting information at this point in time is really not what you need to be concerned about.  What really needs your attention at the beginning of the game is that your machine is extremely filthy.  Try cleaning the machine first and the rest will just come along fine.  Machine is very dirty.  Good luck.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Try cleaning the machine first and the rest will just come along fine.  Machine is very dirty.  Good luck.

Yes Yes i agree a deep clean is needed here just got it about a hour before i posted tear down and cleaning is coming tomorrow when i have a little more time just starting to gather parts and info i may need to read up on while im at work.

12 minutes ago, madautotech said:

ill look into the das boxes to understand better what that is lol. and what cpu is yours running having a hard time getting into the bios to see what i have in this im about to just remove the heat sink and look.

mine has dual  e5540s.

I think del is for bios.

That looks like a gpu with the db15 connector,  I don't think thats a network ccard.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

mine has dual  e5540s.

That looks like a gpu with the db15 connector,  I don't think thats a network ccard.

Mine is the e5504 or at least the one that is in it now  would it be good to run dual?

what is my benefit from dual? 

Also i took the car out to take better pictures.

2020-05-28_21_34_07.jpg

2020-05-28_21_34_00.jpg

5 minutes ago, madautotech said:

Mine is the e5504 or at least the one that is in it now  would it be good to run dual?

I think those are about as slow as you can get for that platform. I got one laying in my bin

What are you doing with it, that chip is more than plety for a nas.

6 minutes ago, madautotech said:

what is my benefit from dual? 

Double the potiental performance in cpu power, not perfect scaling in most programs though.

7 minutes ago, madautotech said:

Also i took the car out to take better pictures.

That is a cheap 1gbe nic it seems like, leave it out, you don't want it, the onboard nics are much better.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think those are about as slow as you can get for that platform. I got one laying in my bin

What are you doing with it, that chip is more than plety for a nas.

Double the potiental performance in cpu power, not perfect scaling in most programs though.

That is a cheap 1gbe nic it seems like, leave it out, you don't want it, the onboard nics are much better.

Your awesome Thank you for the help and time its much appreciated on my side.

Yes im going to start as a Nas  for now and maybe a few VMs for testing reason.

Later would like to either redo this machine to do some hosting for a website in the future. Or build an alternate server for that.

But for now its my learning curve and just getting into the world.