Router suggestions

Demonic Donut

I currently have an Actiontec C1900A modem/router. It does fine for wired connections, but it's WiFi leaves a lot to be desired.

My problem is that cameras on the wifi network will lag out when there is, for example, more than one video streaming wirelessly. Or any other situation that puts a load on the router.

I'd like to spend under $200 if possible. The ability to load open source firmware would be cool, unless the default one has a good feature set. I'd like to be able to handle a couple WiFi cameras streaming, plus at least 2 more 1080p video steams. I'm planning to turn my old PC into a Plex server, so decent WiFi would be awesome for phones, tablets, laptops and TV.

I just started looking into routers, so I'm open to suggestions. I haven't bought a new router since my old Linksys I took to LAN parties 15 years ago. The TP-Link A20 seems to be pretty good for it's price, it at least has a strong CPU, but I'm not familiar enough with the equipment to know if it will do what I want or if it's overkill.

Any and all suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

I ran into the same thing with all the cameras and automation stuff in my new house.  Instead of a router I would just get a access point and have the cameras on their own WiFi network, something like a TP-LINK Omada or one of the Ubiquiti APs would work great for all your media devices while using your current router's WiFi just for the cameras.

@Demonic Donut

Are your wireless cameras communicating over the 2.4GHz band? If so, is this on 802.11b, g, or n?

Does your Actiontec C1900A support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios? Does it support wireless-AC? I’m seeing conflicting tech specs online.

52 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Demonic Donut

Are your wireless cameras communicating over the 2.4GHz band? If so, is this on 802.11b, g, or n?

Does your Actiontec C1900A support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios? Does it support wireless-AC? I’m seeing conflicting tech specs online.

2.4ghz and can use b, g or n.

2.4ghz only for the Actiontec. Its capable of B, G or N as well.

What speeds are you paying for? 

You can easily add ubiquiti acces points for the wifi. Is your house wired with ethernet?

Are you happy with the router or are you considering replacing that as well? Then maybe a edgerouter x ? 

Do you need a switch or haven you already enough lan ports?

4 hours ago, TreeOfTerror said:

What speeds are you paying for? 

You can easily add ubiquiti acces points for the wifi. Is your house wired with ethernet?

Are you happy with the router or are you considering replacing that as well? Then maybe a edgerouter x ? 

Do you need a switch or haven you already enough lan ports?

40Mbs.

WiFi congestion is the problem. I'm not wired for Ethernet but I don't have a problem doing it. When I make my choice, I'm running new wires to the upstairs to install the router for better coverage. When I looked into access points before, it seemed that a decent one is close to the price of a decent router anyway. Am I wrong? That edge router looks good, can I get a fairly powerful access point for around $100?

The wired portion of the c1900a is ok and 4 ports is enough for now, but I don't know if I'll want more later or if it will have a hard time with traffic if I start saturating the wired network more. That's why I was looking at a TP-link or similar router.

Like I said before, I appreciate any opinions and experience shared.

1 hour ago, Demonic Donut said:

40Mbs.

WiFi congestion is the problem. I'm not wired for Ethernet but I don't have a problem doing it. When I make my choice, I'm running new wires to the upstairs to install the router for better coverage. When I looked into access points before, it seemed that a decent one is close to the price of a decent router anyway. Am I wrong? That edge router looks good, can I get a fairly powerful access point for around $100?

The wired portion of the c1900a is ok and 4 ports is enough for now, but I don't know if I'll want more later or if it will have a hard time with traffic if I start saturating the wired network more. That's why I was looking at a TP-link or similar router.

Like I said before, I appreciate any opinions and experience shared.

Ubiquiti acces points are pretty good. For around $100 you have 2 choices here: UAC AP -Lite (around $80 depending on region) and the UAC AP-LR (a bit more focused on range, around $100 depending on region). you can deploy these on your current router, or install the edgerouter x if you want the funcitionality. 

If you need more lan ports later on, you can easily buy a litle unmanaged switch for around $20. 

9 hours ago, TheBeitemBeast said:

Ubiquiti acces points are pretty good. For around $100 you have 2 choices here: UAC AP -Lite (around $80 depending on region) and the UAC AP-LR (a bit more focused on range, around $100 depending on region). you can deploy these on your current router, or install the edgerouter x if you want the funcitionality. 

If you need more lan ports later on, you can easily buy a litle unmanaged switch for around $20. 

The look of the access point won my wife over, she wasn't excited about a ceiling mounted router with antennas in the middle of our house. Probably going with the AP-LR and planning to add a unifi switch 8 150W later, or something similar. I plan to upgrade home security and have been looking at PoE cameras so this would be a nice switch to have.

Thanks for all of the help!