Help With Emulation PC

dm2291

Hey everyone. I am wanting to put together a pc that i can play retro games on. Some arcade and at least up to snes. PS1 would be cool but if not i want some nintendo emulators, i have a computer a friend gave to me running windows 7, I am ok with going Linux. It is a eMachine Intel Celeron 450, Integrated GeForce processor, 500 GB HDD, and 3 GB of ram. I has a 2gb and a 1gb stick installed but i ordered another 2gb stick for 4gb. But it wont be here for a while. Any suggestions for what i should do. I dont want to do this for speed runs or anything serious. I just want a pc to play some games from my childhood and maybe some snes smw rom hacks. Thanks for the help. part number of pc is ET1831-05. any help would be appreciated

I would use Linux, as it is going to work far better than Windows with that dated hardware.  There are versions of Linux Mint for older hardware that work great.  I am not well versed in the emulation scene on linux, but I suspect a quick google search will give you loads of information. If you want a different way of doing things that are going to be far, far easier, pick up a Raspberry Pi and use retropie.  You will probably get better overall performance in a package that will be less power hungry and virtually silent.

Back about 12-ish years ago, I had ePSXe running somewhat acceptably on a single core/thread 32-bit Celeron 440m laptop with 1.5GB of RAM and integrated Intel 945G graphics with Windows Vista Basic. I'm sure what you got can probably handle it about as well or better. Of course that's assuming ePSXe is still as lightweight as it was back then. Couldn't tell you.

I don't really keep up with emulation outside of Dolphin as I prefer real hardware, but 5th gen and older consoles aren't super hard to run. I mean, Raspberry Pis can run this stuff.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:59 AM, dm2291 said:

Hey everyone. I am wanting to put together a pc that i can play retro games on. Some arcade and at least up to snes. PS1 would be cool but if not i want some nintendo emulators, i have a computer a friend gave to me running windows 7, I am ok with going Linux. It is a eMachine Intel Celeron 450, Integrated GeForce processor, 500 GB HDD, and 3 GB of ram. I has a 2gb and a 1gb stick installed but i ordered another 2gb stick for 4gb. But it wont be here for a while. Any suggestions for what i should do. I dont want to do this for speed runs or anything serious. I just want a pc to play some games from my childhood and maybe some snes smw rom hacks. Thanks for the help. part number of pc is ET1831-05. any help would be appreciated

Buy the consoles and games. Most older games aren't expensive and the ones that are outlandish (talking to you Star Fox 64) aren't generally worth getting. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

i think batocera.linux is a great way to emulate old games.  it also has a nice looking menu. :)

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs