RAM Compatibility Check

Go to solution Solved by starry,
2 minutes ago, Frostbite Cinematics said:

Hi all. New guy to the forums here so don't really know how this works, and fairly new to PC building and hardware, but have been watching the channel for some time now. I'm in the process of creating a parts list for my first PC build which will be used for a little bit of gaming here and there, but mostly editing, 3D animation and rendering. I have all of the parts I want on a list and have made sure they are compatible, except from the RAM. The Mobo I am going for is an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and the CPU is a Ryzen 7 3700x. For the RAM, I was originally going to go with this Corsair Vengeance kit as it was said to be compatible on PC Part Picker, however upon checking the description on the Amazon page, it seems to only be tested compatible with Intel boards. Yet people in the Questions and Answers section claim that the kit still works with AMD boards/CPUs. So my question: IS the kit compatible with my build? Or am I going to have to find a different kit? I did check Corsair's Ryzen-ready section on their Amazon Store page but the Ryzen/AMD-ready kit that is similar to the one I originally wanted is like £50 more expensive ( This kit here: ). Do I pay the extra £50 for the 'guaranteed' compatible kit or is the cheaper one actually perfectly fine, and I am just overthinking it? No use in spending more than I need to when I could divert the spare cash to other areas, like more/better storage, or whatever.

I did find this kit which is closer to the same price point as the original kit I chose, and I am almost positive that this one is compatible with AMD boards (and the one I am going to buy, the B450), but idk. I kinda wanted to keep the RGB kinda minimal, and I was also kinda already sold on the original kit.

With all this said, I am open to suggestions if anybody does know of a good compatible 32GB (2 x 16) kit that is somewhere around my price point that they'd recommend. I admittedly only chose Corsair at first because from what I can tell, they're a reputable brand. But i don't mind going for another if anyone knows of a good kit from a different brand.

When testing compatibility, companies typically only do a small group of scenarios to make sure it works, which is why intel is the only thing on their official  compatibility list. This happens a lot, even if the part is VERY well known to work on other platforms. And except with some niche generic RAM corner cases (AMD only memory), as long as all the standards match (ie number of pins, DDR3 vs 4, etc) you should be perfectly fine. Especially if lots of other people are saying it works well.

Hi all. New guy to the forums here so don't really know how this works, and fairly new to PC building and hardware, but have been watching the channel for some time now. I'm in the process of creating a parts list for my first PC build which will be used for a little bit of gaming here and there, but mostly editing, 3D animation and rendering. I have all of the parts I want on a list and have made sure they are compatible, except from the RAM. The Mobo I am going for is an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and the CPU is a Ryzen 7 3700x. For the RAM, I was originally going to go with this Corsair Vengeance kit as it was said to be compatible on PC Part Picker, however upon checking the description on the Amazon page, it seems to only be tested compatible with Intel boards. Yet people in the Questions and Answers section claim that the kit still works with AMD boards/CPUs. So my question: IS the kit compatible with my build? Or am I going to have to find a different kit? I did check Corsair's Ryzen-ready section on their Amazon Store page but the Ryzen/AMD-ready kit that is similar to the one I originally wanted is like £50 more expensive ( This kit here: ). Do I pay the extra £50 for the 'guaranteed' compatible kit or is the cheaper one actually perfectly fine, and I am just overthinking it? No use in spending more than I need to when I could divert the spare cash to other areas, like more/better storage, or whatever.

I did find this kit which is closer to the same price point as the original kit I chose, and I am almost positive that this one is compatible with AMD boards (and the one I am going to buy, the B450), but idk. I kinda wanted to keep the RGB kinda minimal, and I was also kinda already sold on the original kit.

With all this said, I am open to suggestions if anybody does know of a good compatible 32GB (2 x 16) kit that is somewhere around my price point that they'd recommend. I admittedly only chose Corsair at first because from what I can tell, they're a reputable brand. But i don't mind going for another if anyone knows of a good kit from a different brand.

2 minutes ago, Frostbite Cinematics said:

When testing compatibility, companies typically only do a small group of scenarios to make sure it works, which is why intel is the only thing on their official  compatibility list. This happens a lot, even if the part is VERY well known to work on other platforms. And except with some niche generic RAM corner cases (AMD only memory), as long as all the standards match (ie number of pins, DDR3 vs 4, etc) you should be perfectly fine. Especially if lots of other people are saying it works well.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

6 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

Thank you! :) Yeah, I was kinda confused at first as to why Corsair were claiming it wouldn't work (in response to people asking in the Questions and Answers section), yet buyers have had no problem with the kit. I guess it was either: trust the corporation that potentially wants me to spend more money, or trust the buyer who has the potential to be wrong, and end up causing me to buy a kit that isn't compatible. Thanks for your quick response and for clearing it up. :) I'm probably gonna go for the original kit I intended on getting.