Despirately want to get MHW working on Proton or Lutris Wine

Go to solution Solved by Nayr438,

Since your on Manjaro.

If you made a compatibilitytools.d directory, delete it. Then try adding the Chaotic-AUR https://lonewolf.pedrohlc.com/chaotic-aur/

I personally use yay for package management, if you don't have it, its a pacman wrapper and AUR helper. The repo above contains builds for it.

sudo pacman -Sy yay

make sure your system is up to date, yay -Syu

Install chaotic-aur/proton-tkg-git through pacman or yay instead of using the download on the git page. ( yay -S chaotic-aur/proton-tkg-git )It will help ensure you have everything and that you get updates in the future.

Make sure you uninstall the game completely, delete  ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/582010/

Set your Proton build to Proton-tkg makepkg

Then re-install

For whatever reason custom proton builds don't always play nice with previous installs.

If you get a prompt to install mono, gecko, etc... from a wine prompt on game launch, go ahead and install it.

If you get a nvapi error or it just crashes

• Install chaotic-aur/protontricks-git ( yay -S chaotic-aur/protontricks-git )
  • protontricks --gui
  • Select the Game -> default wineprefix -> run winecfg
  • Libraries -> New override for library-> nvapi -> Add
  • Libraries -> New override for library-> nvapi64 -> Add
  • Libraries -> Existing Overrides-> nvapi -> Edit -> Disable
  • Libraries -> Existing Overrides-> nvapi64 -> Edit -> Disable

If you happen to run into any memory errors or you just want to try another kernel to see if it helps with performance. I recommend tkg pds kernel builds. These builds do increase overall compatibility with some games.

• For the Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 in your signature.
  • yay -S linux-tkg-pds-haswell linux-tkg-pds-haswell-headers update-grub
  • sudo update-grub
  • reboot
  • should select the new kernel by default, You can check in a terminal with uname -r

*If you would like to have a wine build similar to Proton-tkg to use in lutris or anything else, you can also install chaotic-aur/wine-tkg-staging-fsync-vkd3d-git

I have been trying to get this to work every single day for the past month and I'm about to give up and just start dual booting windows again, but i really hate using windows, Does anyone have a way to get this working? I don't even care if the performance is sub 40 as long as i can run it. I just want to play this game with my girlfriend.

Any help is appreciated.

Im on Manjaro Linux 20, GTX 1660 Super with latest Linux Nvidia Drivers.

Currently if i try to run it using wine steam, it shows all the company logos at the start and then when it tries to load the main menu it crashes with no error message.

If i try to run it using proton, it doesnt launch at all.

Thank you very much!

If anyone needs any additional info ill be happy to provide it.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

You did read the Proton DB, right?

https://www.protondb.com/app/582010

Says here you shoudl try Glorious Eggroll's Proton build which can be found on Github. I know I had to use it once instead of official Proton to get GTA to work.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Says here you shoudl try Glorious Eggroll's Proton build which can be found on Github. I know I had to use it once instead of official Proton to get GTA to work.

6 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

You could try a custom Proton Build.

I have had good luck with this https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git/releases

Otherwise this one is more common https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

If you move to a Custom Proton build, you may also need to re-install the game after selecting the new Proton.

thank you so much, its really late and i forgot to check the forums so i will try these tomarrow and let you know how it goes

Also I only recently made the full switch to Linux, which is why i didnt even know a proton DB existed, im a newbie of 4 months.

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

7 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

You could try a custom Proton Build.

I have had good luck with this https://github.com/Frogging-Family/wine-tkg-git/releases

Otherwise this one is more common https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

If you move to a Custom Proton build, you may also need to re-install the game after selecting the new Proton.

8 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Both of these custom proton builds resulted in the game not launching at all.

Any ideas?

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

Since your on Manjaro.

If you made a compatibilitytools.d directory, delete it. Then try adding the Chaotic-AUR https://lonewolf.pedrohlc.com/chaotic-aur/

I personally use yay for package management, if you don't have it, its a pacman wrapper and AUR helper. The repo above contains builds for it.

sudo pacman -Sy yay

Install chaotic-aur/proton-tkg-git through pacman or yay instead of using the download on the git page. ( yay -S chaotic-aur/proton-tkg-git )It will help ensure you have everything and that you get updates in the future.

Make sure you uninstall the game completely, delete  ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/582010/

Then re-install

For whatever reason custom proton builds don't always play nice with previous installs.

If you get a prompt to install mono, gecko, etc... from a wine prompt on game launch, go ahead and install it.

• protontricks --gui

If you happen to run into any memory errors or you just want to try another kernel to see if it helps with performance. I recommend tkg pds kernel builds. These builds do increase overall compatibility with some games.

• sudo update-grub
  • reboot
  • should select the new kernel by default, You can check in a terminal with uname -r

*If you would like to have a wine build similar to Proton-tkg to use in lutris or anything else, you can also install chaotic-aur/wine-tkg-staging-fsync-vkd3d-git

7 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Since your on Manjaro.

sudo pacman -Sy yay

Then re-install

• protontricks --gui

• sudo update-grub
  • reboot

Im trying to follow your instructions, but I'm having trouble, this might be a really stupid question but remember I'm new at this.

[User@Computer ~]$ yay -S chaotic-aur
==> Error: Could not find all required packages:
    chaotic-aur (Target)
[User@Computer ~]$ yay -S proton-tkg-git
==> Error: Could not find all required packages:
    proton-tkg-git (Target)
[User@Computer ~]$ sudo pacman -S proton-tkg-git
[sudo] password for ****: 
error: target not found: proton-tkg-git
[User@Computer ~]$ sudo pacman -S chaotic-aur
error: target not found: chaotic-aur

how should i respond to this?

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

You need to first add the chaotic-aur. Instructions are on the page in the link, but I will post them here.

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

add this to the bottom of the file

[chaotic-aur]
Server = http://lonewolf-builder.duckdns.org/$repo/x86_64
Server = http://chaotic.bangl.de/$repo/x86_64
Server = https://repo.kitsuna.net/x86_64

ctrl+x

when prompted, press y

for save, just press enter

sudo pacman-key --keyserver keys.mozilla.org -r 3056513887B78AEB
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key 3056513887B78AEB

yay -Sy chaotic-aur/proton-tkg-git

Also the / in the command doesn't mean or, its repo/package. It tells yay to specifically grab that package from that repo instead of the first package it thinks is suitable.

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

You need to first add the chaotic-aur. Instructions are on the page in the link, but I will post them here.

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

add this to the bottom of the file

[chaotic-aur]
Server = http://lonewolf-builder.duckdns.org/$repo/x86_64
Server = http://chaotic.bangl.de/$repo/x86_64
Server = https://repo.kitsuna.net/x86_64

ctrl+x

when prompted, press y

for save, just press enter

sudo pacman-key --keyserver keys.mozilla.org -r 3056513887B78AEB
sudo pacman-key --lsign-key 3056513887B78AEB

yay -Sy chaotic-aur/proton-tkg-git

Also the / in the command doesn't mean or, its repo/package. It tells yay to specifically grab that package from that repo instead of the first package it thinks is suitable.

You are literally a god, thank you so so so much, I have been trying to get this working for literally 3 months. I really appreciate all the help you gave me. Its working now and I can finally play with my girlfriend.spacer.png

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD