Thunderbolt 3 AMD solution

I watched Linus's personal rig update video and I was intrigued by the possibility of running a single cable between my desk and my PC, eliminating all the clutter and space limitations that stem from needing to plug in mice, keyboards, headphones, webcams, and monitors. But from what I understand, Thunderbolt 3 isn't widely supported yet, and especially not with AMD motherboards. 

What's the solution that Linus uses to connect all of his peripherals to his PC through a single cord? How can I duplicate this effect?

The best solution I can tell right now is to use a thunderbolt 3 hub and an aftermarket thunderbolt 3 card for an AMD motherboard. 

1 minute ago, chamomiledreamer said:

I watched Linus's personal rig update video and I was intrigued by the possibility of running a single cable between my

Unless you are as crazy as linus just use some longer cables and just a USB type C hub.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Here's a thunderbolt-compatible X570 motherboard. There are also ITX ones from ASRock AFAIK.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Creator/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

That looks nice. But my current motherboard has a USB-C slot that is not Thunderbolt-3. Could I get some of the same functionality with a  usb-c hub? Mostly I'm looking to plug in my headphones, keyboard, mouse, and webcam to something that is not the PC case.

I might also upgrade the motherboard if that's the best solution. I have an adjustable height desk and it isn't going to work with 7 cords going off the back of my desk to the PC box. 

18 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Here's a thunderbolt-compatible X570 motherboard. There are also ITX ones from ASRock AFAIK.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Creator/

5 minutes ago, chamomiledreamer said:

That looks nice. But my current motherboard has a USB-C slot that is not Thunderbolt-3. Could I get some of the same functionality with a  usb-c hub? Mostly I'm looking to plug in my headphones, keyboard, mouse, and webcam to something that is not the PC case.

I might also upgrade the motherboard if that's the best solution. I have an adjustable height desk and it isn't going to work with 7 cords going off the back of my desk to the PC box. 

The problem is the power requirements.  Thunderbolt 3 standard cables carry 15 watts.  Upscale Thunderbolt 3 carries up to 100 Watts.

Intel and Windows motherboards are notorious for under powering their USB.

So, USB-C should have the power which you need for your peripherals.  But did the motherboard company decide to use underperforming USB-C to save money?  Only one way to find out.

Unfortunately most reviewers only care about the visible VRMs.  It’s been forever since I’ve seen a reviewer test the usb power delivery.  I’ve had poor experiences with budget motherboards in this respect.

2 hours ago, Hilltrot said:

The problem is the power requirements.  Thunderbolt 3 standard cables carry 15 watts.  Upscale Thunderbolt 3 carries up to 100 Watts.

Intel and Windows motherboards are notorious for under powering their USB.

So, USB-C should have the power which you need for your peripherals.  But did the motherboard company decide to use underperforming USB-C to save money?  Only one way to find out.

Unfortunately most reviewers only care about the visible VRMs.  It’s been forever since I’ve seen a reviewer test the usb power delivery.  I’ve had poor experiences with budget motherboards in this respect.

I got one of these guys:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-E-Gaming/

Any way to tell if it will push enough power through a USB hub to support a camera, mouse, keyboard, headset, audio interface, and potentially a couple monitors? If the monitors have to be done separately, that's okay. One cord going from my desk to PC would be nirvana. Three cords is probably manageable. 8 is a nightmare