IPS vs VA at 144hz avoiding ghosting

natsukirei

Hey Team,

So basically i brought a kogan branded monitor that was advertised as 144 hz , 1440p, curved and 27 inches, and found out its basically a rebranded Viotek monitor, ive had alot of issues with contrast, warm colors look odd and washed, overdrive or as its called "Response time" low medium and high don't seem to help much and i get fairly notice-able ghosting, and when scrolling through colored text on black backgrounds/grey, the colors like, distort its odd.

So im returning it and looking into other options and i was wondering what you guys think of IPS against VA, i like my colors to pop, a buttery experience, and as little ghosting/scrolling issues as possible.

I have these 2 options for the same price ( my refund ), and they are compelling so i was after some opinions

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-optix-g271-27-144hz-full-hd-1ms-freesync-ips-gaming-monitor-ac33579

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/aoc-c27g2-27-165hz-fhd-1ms-freesync-va-curved-gaming-monitor-ac33070

I love the idea of an MSi monitor since my entire rig is MSi haha, i love their brand

8 minutes ago, natsukirei said:

Hey Team,

So basically i brought a kogan branded monitor that was advertised as 144 hz , 1440p, curved and 27 inches, and found out its basically a rebranded Viotek monitor, ive had alot of issues with contrast, warm colors look odd and washed, overdrive or as its called "Response time" low medium and high don't seem to help much and i get fairly notice-able ghosting, and when scrolling through colored text on black backgrounds/grey, the colors like, distort its odd.

So im returning it and looking into other options and i was wondering what you guys think of IPS against VA, i like my colors to pop, a buttery experience, and as little ghosting/scrolling issues as possible.

I have these 2 options for the same price ( my refund ), and they are compelling so i was after some opinions

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-optix-g271-27-144hz-full-hd-1ms-freesync-ips-gaming-monitor-ac33579

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/aoc-c27g2-27-165hz-fhd-1ms-freesync-va-curved-gaming-monitor-ac33070

I love the idea of an MSi monitor since my entire rig is MSi haha, i love their brand

It depends what you like from a monitor 1 will give higher hz 1 will give lower ms, one will give better colours like whites and blacks it honestly depends what you want from a monitor and your use for it really I’ll provide you a link to the differences and the similarities on these monitors 

Link

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1890-panel-comparison-tn-ips-pls-va-crt

2 minutes ago, Mitzy said:

It depends what you like from a monitor 1 will give higher hz 1 will give lower ms, one will give better colours like whites and blacks it honestly depends what you want from a monitor and your use for it really I’ll provide you a link to the differences and the similarities on these monitors 

Link

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1890-panel-comparison-tn-ips-pls-va-crt

Thanks for the link, after reading this it seems IPS would a great medium for me

I dont really play competitive games, the most "Competitive" game i play is destiny 2 and i mostly play for the graphics and PVE content, i spend most of my time in games with story, RTS, and i love great colors, excellent visuals, and the 144 hz / 1ms ( if that's truly 1ms ) are just a bonus to me.

I also want that smooth windows experience when doing stuff, moving windows, scrolling text, etc and watching anime.

All this is to go with my new build, R5 3600, MSi Gaming X 5700, and MSi Pro Carbon MB with a bunch of RGB.

Unless im reading all this wrong, that article suggests IPS would be a good medium between visuals and performance/high refresh rate

Just now, natsukirei said:

Thanks for the link, after reading this it seems IPS would a great medium for me

I dont really play competitive games, the most "Competitive" game i play is destiny 2 and i mostly play for the graphics and PVE content, i spend most of my time in games with story, RTS, and i love great colors, excellent visuals, and the 144 hz / 1ms ( if that's truly 1ms ) are just a bonus to me.

I also want that smooth windows experience when doing stuff, moving windows, scrolling text, etc and watching anime.

All this is to go with my new build, R5 3600, MSi Gaming X 5700, and MSi Pro Carbon MB with a bunch of RGB.

Unless im reading all this wrong, that article suggests IPS would be a good medium between visuals and performance/high refresh rate

I would go Nvidia for gpu to just because amd had driver instability issues late last year and you would get more performance with the ryzen 5 3600 it would be a better combo than using an x 5700 especially the instability I wouldn’t want personally go with a 2060 super your paying a bit more but you get raytracing which is unoptimized and better stability for the gpu than amds and also it is more expensive than the 5700 but is more worth it and work better and give more potential for your ryzen 5 3600 than your 5700 could ever give to the cpu I advise you to change it to a 2060-2060 super either one that is my opinion 

1 minute ago, Mitzy said:

I would go Nvidia for gpu to just because amd had driver instability issues late last year and you would get more performance with the ryzen 5 3600 it would be a better combo than using an x 5700 especially the instability I wouldn’t want personally go with a 2060 super your paying a bit more but you get raytracing which is unoptimized and better stability for the gpu than amds and also it is more expensive than the 5700 but is more worth it and work better and give more potential for your ryzen 5 3600 than your 5700 could ever give to the cpu I advise you to change it to a 2060-2060 super either one that is my opinion 

Thanks for the advice.

This is not an option as the 5700 is already sitting right next to me :P haha, and the new PC build is arriving Monday, i have already been using the 5700 for fun in my 2600 previous / old build and its been fantastic, the latest drivers seem quite decent and i like the AMD CC for undervolting/OCing, it performs perfectly fine for my needs. i did read about the driver issues and debacle with the RX AMD Series, it seems to be getting better and Freesync is nice which both those monitors support.

2 minutes ago, natsukirei said:

Thanks for the advice.

This is not an option as the 5700 is already sitting right next to me :P haha, and the new PC build is arriving Monday, i have already been using the 5700 for fun in my 2600 previous / old build and its been fantastic, the latest drivers seem quite decent and i like the AMD CC for undervolting/OCing, it performs perfectly fine for my needs. i did read about the driver issues and debacle with the RX AMD Series, it seems to be getting better and Freesync is nice which both those monitors support.

In future go Nvidia for gpu than amd an amd gpu it could change when the new parts come out later this year and amd could become better but I highly doubt that so in future try and go for Nvidia for more performance

• 8 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 1:18 AM, Mitzy said:

In future go Nvidia for gpu than amd an amd gpu it could change when the new parts come out later this year and amd could become better but I highly doubt that so in future try and go for Nvidia for more performance

such bullshit, much nvidia shill wow!