I Have a project and I want advice on how to start

Hello thanks for looking at my post.

While I've been stuck in my house I've had time to re watch some old shows from my childhood namely mega-man NT Warrior or Rockman.EXE.

I always wanted to own a P.E.T like device. For those who don't know what a P.E.T is it's basically a portable computer terminal. I already kind of have a idea on how to do that part.

However, the biggest part of it is there's a game like component where you have a SD card like chip called a Battle Chip(BC). In the show they store data that the P.E.T reads and execute a command 

I want to make a P.E.T like device eventually but at first I want to make the Battle Chips first.

I have two routes that I think I could go about this..

• EEPROM
    • Set Up a raspberry Pi, Arduino,small single board computer(SBC) to read a EEPROM( I was thinking these) chip mounted to custom PCB that turns the EEPROM into a chip(Think DS like reader without the push in lock)
    • Have the SBC input the data from the BC to a program that reads the data from BC and Executes a action. (Im thinking having all the actual data for the chips stats stored in the program it's self instead of the chip and only having a Binary code that corresponds to the appropriate BC on the EEPROM)

OR

• NFC
    • Basically the same as the EEPROM but using a NFC tag inserted into a 3D printed cover.

Obviously the NFC route would be the easiest and cleanest solution. But the EEPROM sounds the most fun out of the two.

My Questions to you all is what would be the best language(s) to handle all the goals and what devices would be optimal?