Notebook as eGPU

I'm planning so slowly get away from gaming notebooks and  desktop PC, but I just spend a bunch on a gaming notebook from 2016 last year. It 1070 is fine for what I do, but the CPU is in comparison really bad, it spikes to 50% in idle and is normally on around 30% idle. So for my new PC I'm planning to start with the core components and then gradually upgrade. That means: Mother board, AMD Ryzen 3rd gen, Power supply, 16 GB Ram from Notebook with adapters, storage, including windows from my old laptop and now to my Question: Would it be possible, to use my Notebook as an external GPU until I will go and get a real one?

6 minutes ago, MisterTechnik said:

I'm planning so slowly get away from gaming notebooks and  desktop PC, but I just spend a bunch on a gaming notebook from 2016 last year. It 1070 is fine for what I do, but the CPU is in comparison really bad, it spikes to 50% in idle and is normally on around 30% idle. So for my new PC I'm planning to start with the core components and then gradually upgrade. That means: Mother board, AMD Ryzen 3rd gen, Power supply, 16 GB Ram from Notebook with adapters, storage, including windows from my old laptop and now to my Question: Would it be possible, to use my Notebook as an external GPU until I will go and get a real one?

If your notebook came with a 1070, I can't imagine the OEM would put in a potato of a CPU in there. I would check what is using up 50% of your CPU at idle as that's not normal outside of maybe Windows doing updates. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, MisterTechnik said:

16 GB Ram from Notebook with adapters

Not a great idea.

And no, you can't use a notebook as an external GPU.

17 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

What is the CPU?

I7 6700HQ

36 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Not a great idea

Why?

37 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would check what is using up 50% of your CPU

Some windows security stuff is using quite a bit, the one is called WMI Something and idk the other one anymore. And I said spiking, mostly it's 30%

Just now, MisterTechnik said:

Why?

The performance won't be that great. It'll work fine, but I'd try to get proper DIMMs as soon as possible.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

The performance won't be that great. It'll work fine, but I'd try to get proper DIMMs as soon as possible.

Wouldn't it just work with the same performance as on my laptop?

Just now, NZgamer said:

That is still not a bad CPU by today's standards... don't know why you called it "really bad". I have to live with a Pentium in my laptop which is worse than a 1st gen i3.

Idk but all performance problems I have seem to come from my cpu being at 100% while my GPU is chilling

4 minutes ago, MisterTechnik said:

Wouldn't it just work with the same performance as on my laptop?

Yes it would, but Ryzen really comes to life with fast memory speeds.

I assume your notebook RAM is only running at 2133 or 2400, while 3600 is optimal for Ryzen CPUs.

On ebay, notebook memory usually sells more expensive than full-size dimms. 

All in all: Why don't you sell the notebook all in one and buy yourself memory and a gpu?

1 hour ago, sooker said:

On ebay, notebook memory usually sells more expensive than full-size dimms. 

All in all: Why don't you sell the notebook all in one and buy yourself memory and a gpu?

Yeah that's my current thinking, I just don't know if people gonna buy it