Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Notebook as eGPU

I'm planning so slowly get away from gaming notebooks and  desktop PC, but I just spend a bunch on a gaming notebook from 2016 last year. It 1070 is fine for what I do, but the CPU is in comparison really bad, it spikes to 50% in idle and is normally on around 30% idle. So for my new PC I'm planning to start with the core components and then gradually upgrade. That means: Mother board, AMD Ryzen 3rd gen, Power supply, 16 GB Ram from Notebook with adapters, storage, including windows from my old laptop and now to my Question: Would it be possible, to use my Notebook as an external GPU until I will go and get a real one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MisterTechnik said:

I'm planning so slowly get away from gaming notebooks and  desktop PC, but I just spend a bunch on a gaming notebook from 2016 last year. It 1070 is fine for what I do, but the CPU is in comparison really bad, it spikes to 50% in idle and is normally on around 30% idle. So for my new PC I'm planning to start with the core components and then gradually upgrade. That means: Mother board, AMD Ryzen 3rd gen, Power supply, 16 GB Ram from Notebook with adapters, storage, including windows from my old laptop and now to my Question: Would it be possible, to use my Notebook as an external GPU until I will go and get a real one?

If your notebook came with a 1070, I can't imagine the OEM would put in a potato of a CPU in there. I would check what is using up 50% of your CPU at idle as that's not normal outside of maybe Windows doing updates. 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 24GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Green 1.5TB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 14.8) | iPhone XR (iOS 14.8) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MisterTechnik said:

16 GB Ram from Notebook with adapters

Not a great idea.

 

And no, you can't use a notebook as an external GPU.

05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0, 3.1 Gen1)

10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2 (USB 3.1 Gen2)

20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 

40Gb/s - USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

What is the CPU?

I7 6700HQ

36 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Not a great idea

Why?

37 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would check what is using up 50% of your CPU

Some windows security stuff is using quite a bit, the one is called WMI Something and idk the other one anymore. And I said spiking, mostly it's 30%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, MisterTechnik said:

Why?

The performance won't be that great. It'll work fine, but I'd try to get proper DIMMs as soon as possible.

05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0, 3.1 Gen1)

10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2 (USB 3.1 Gen2)

20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 

40Gb/s - USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

The performance won't be that great. It'll work fine, but I'd try to get proper DIMMs as soon as possible.

Wouldn't it just work with the same performance as on my laptop?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, NZgamer said:

That is still not a bad CPU by today's standards... don't know why you called it "really bad". I have to live with a Pentium in my laptop which is worse than a 1st gen i3.

Idk but all performance problems I have seem to come from my cpu being at 100% while my GPU is chilling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MisterTechnik said:

Wouldn't it just work with the same performance as on my laptop?

Yes it would, but Ryzen really comes to life with fast memory speeds.

I assume your notebook RAM is only running at 2133 or 2400, while 3600 is optimal for Ryzen CPUs.

05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0, 3.1 Gen1)

10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2 (USB 3.1 Gen2)

20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 

40Gb/s - USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On ebay, notebook memory usually sells more expensive than full-size dimms. 

All in all: Why don't you sell the notebook all in one and buy yourself memory and a gpu?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sooker said:

On ebay, notebook memory usually sells more expensive than full-size dimms. 

All in all: Why don't you sell the notebook all in one and buy yourself memory and a gpu?

Yeah that's my current thinking, I just don't know if people gonna buy it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×