Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I9 9900K overclock

Hi there,

Some friends of mine and I have an I9 9900K. We all have them overclocked. A few days ago we were talking about it and a friend of mine said he lowered his OC due to thermal issues. 

Since then I have been browsing the internet for some info but I can't find a final answer on what speeds and temperatures are good.

My friend that lowered the OC has gone from 4.9Ghz to 4.6Ghz and the other friends is at 4.6Ghz. Both of them are watercooled custom loops. 

Mine is running at 5.1Ghz and I am on an aircooler (NH-D15). The max. temps I get when running cinebench R20 and other stress tests are 80°C to 85°C. With AVX ofset at 0.

During everyday heavy use I get up to 65°C max. As far as I know watercooling should should be able to run cooler than an aircooler. 

During my search on the internet I also seen the binned CPU. They are advertised with OC's from 4.6Ghz to 4.8Ghz.

Now am I wondering am I pushing it to far or am I just lucky with my CPU that it clocks better?

2 minutes ago, Vanzeir said:

Hi there,

Some friends of mine and I have an I9 9900K. We all have them overclocked. A few days ago we were talking about it and a friend of mine said he lowered his OC due to thermal issues. 

Since then I have been browsing the internet for some info but I can't find a final answer on what speeds and temperatures are good.

My friend that lowered the OC has gone from 4.9Ghz to 4.6Ghz and the other friends is at 4.6Ghz. Both of them are watercooled custom loops. 

Mine is running at 5.1Ghz and I am on an aircooler (NH-D15). The max. temps I get when running cinebench R20 and other stress tests are 80°C to 85°C. With AVX ofset at 0.

During everyday heavy use I get up to 65°C max. As far as I know watercooling should should be able to run cooler than an aircooler. 

During my search on the internet I also seen the binned CPU. They are advertised with OC's from 4.6Ghz to 4.8Ghz.

Now am I wondering am I pushing it to far or am I just lucky with my CPU that it clocks better?

9900k boost to 5 GHZ on 2 core, and 4.7 GHZ on all core... If they are running them at 4.6 they are underclocking them. Why would you buy a 9900k to underclock it, lol.

As long as its under ~75c for normal everyday use, its fine. I highly doubt its running that high normally..... Mine does mid 50's to low 60's in games, and in AIDA64 FPU load it gets to the high 80's.

More explanation here would be useful. But 4.7 GHz is stock.... And you don't want to use more than about 1.35v for daily use. What voltages are they at? Also, now that 9900ks's exist, high clocking 9900k's are harder to come by. My 9900k is great from a voltage perspective, but its crap from a cooling perspective, unfortunately. I am limited to 4.9 GHz because of temps, I can't stress test it at any higher speed without it being at about 100c in the AIDA64 stress test.

Which, btw, if you are using R20 as a way to validate your OC, its likely not actually stable. That just isn't long enough to really test it. I would do AIDA64 FPU for MANY HOURS. I typically do 8+.

Rig: i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 4.8 Ring - - Z490 Vision G - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz 15-17-17-34 @ 3500MHz 16-19-19-38 - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - Steel Series QcK XXL

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: ESXi 6.5 - - 250 GB SSD for VM's/ESXi boot - - FreeNAS - - HPE Proliant ML10 Gen 9 backbone - - i3 6100 - - 28 GB ECC - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - 10TB WD Red for expendable data - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander

White Lightning (original full watercooled build) - Homelab / Media Server - The Blue Beast (my car and other expensive hobby...) - iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

This is the first time I am overclocking myself, I don't know a lot about it. 

I got my 9900K for like 10 months. Since then I have been looking up on how to and then trying it out. 

The settings my friends are running at I can't tell you cause I don't remember it. We didn't have a huge conversation about it. I just was curious how fast they were running at that point and now a starting to question there knowledge. LOL

I have tried several stress test and benchmarks since then. Can't remember all of them. But I will try out AIDA64 FPU to see how it goes. 

With my current settings I haven't experienced any crashes on tests or everyday use. I am running at 5.1Ghz all core with 1.295V.