mac mini into laptop?

GrimOfDoom

This is just a semi-idea that could be a future plan. I am getting a 2018 mac mini (i7, 128GB storage, 8GB ram; $100 off at B&H) for not yet started business (laser engraving/cutting), and I was curios if I could take apart my mac mini and convert it into a laptop so I don't have to use my older windows laptop. The general idea is plausible- however, the only questions are:

1) Is there a battery bank that can power both some monitor and also the mac mini for a fair amount of time

2) Is there a good low power monitor that would work well?

3) How should I do the keyboard?

On the monitor portion, one idea I had was to make it so I could slot in my iPad Pro (2017) and use that as the screen with Carplay (Or second screen on back of flipped up screen) to make a tablet. On the thought that some of you may be thinking, I cannot afford an external graphics card (though I have an RX470 that I own and not in use- but not found a cheap doable external GPU adapter). One of the nice advantages this would make for me is that I can easily access the ram slots of Mac Mini with minimal effort, I don't need the second laptop- just like the Nintendo Switch, just pull off the custom base (usb/video out connections). There would also be space to easily put more storage inside without a bunch of cables running everywhere. And the fact of owning a very rare Mac Tablet with Apple Pencil (1) support would be cool.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas to the questions or idea of the project; please share 😄

(Yes I know windows laptops act like this already- but Mac is just the personally desired platform for the work, no if's, and's or butts)

You would have to find things that are usb powered. They do make "mac" like keyboard for cheap that you could probably work. And I know you can get usb power monitors, or use a display panel and controller board. As for the power you would need most likely to figure out some home-brewed system. I would go with 18650 battery just be careful with them. DO NOT DO USE THEM IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR DOING! 

The would not be a easy task an you would need to know what you are doing. Not just design wise but electrical engineering. And tbh thats out of my league.

The Mac Mini should use the same amount of power as a laptop, if not less or slightly more. It’s a mobile processor (i7-8700B), and doesn’t have any big/major components like an iMac or MacBook Pro- both of witch are not mobile & tablet capable (tablet mode on a MacBook Pro is, sitting somewhere with both macbook open and ipad plugged in or wirelessly connected, not mobile ergonomic like in a car for example). MacBook Pro is also extremely expensive for an i7 model.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, the device definitely takes up more power than originally calculated (using guesstimations based on what's inside). Probably instead have to make a mobile desktop/laptop with screen (Can't connect to sidecar without going through macOS, so only iPad display is impossible).