Registry Editing to Turn Off LED on an Asus PCE-AC56

Hello everyone, 

I've encountered a strange problem lately. You see, I fucking hate LEDS on my tech. I really, really hate how they look, and how they mess with the lighting of my room, which I will admit I am somewhat obsessive about keeping at a nice, pale-white light. Following, when I built my computer in late 2015, I noticed the blue indicator light on my wifi card, and promptly covered it with blu tak, never to be seen again. Problem solved!

Problem not solved. 5 years on, and I've encountered a most peculiar issue. You see, the LED on my wifi card is starting to go. I have tested this thoroughly, as I initially suspected it to be an issue with some gunk getting caught in my fan and causing unwanted sounds, but found that to be false. After some trial and error, anything that requires an exchange of large amounts of data, such as loading a new webpage, downloading or uploading a file, etc, causes the indicator LED to flicker, and produce a chirping noise in time with its flickering. 

As you may have guessed from my hatred of LEDs, I'm very particular when it comes to my sensory experiences, and high pitched noises in irregular patterns fucking destroy me. So, I am looking to turn off the LED permanently. However, there is no software solution pre-made for this, and after some snooping in regedit, I have found 8 registries for my wifi card related to its LED functions. I feel that I am close to a solution, but do not have any clue as to how to edit these registries to achieve my desired results. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. 

I have attached an image of the registries and included the relevant file path below

Pathway: Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class -> {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> 0007

Capture.JPG

Editing the registry can be very dangerous. Anyone who suggests an edit or change here cannot be held responsible for what happens. That out of the way, try changing the values of "blinkfast" "blinkmed" and "blinkslow" to 0.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Editing the registry can be very dangerous. Anyone who suggests an edit or change here cannot be held responsible for what happens. That out of the way, try changing the values of "blinkfast" "blinkmed" and "blinkslow" to 0.

Alrighty, I'll give it a go. Report back soon!

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

No observed change in behaviour, unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, Matthew Makaryn said:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. 

Use sidecutters to cut the LED off.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Use sidecutters to cut the LED off.

I'll keep it as a last resort, but I'd prefer not to physically alter my parts.

15 minutes ago, Matthew Makaryn said:

No observed change in behaviour, unfortunately.

Try setting all values to 0 then.

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Try setting all values to 0 then.

Also no observed change in behaviour. 

Try removing the wifi card and connecting your pc via cable.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Try removing the wifi card and connecting your pc via cable.

No.

So, I noticed after I took a break and came back that the effect wasn't as bad as it had been before. It had gone almost entirely. But it slowly started creeping back in. It slowly came back about half an hour later, but only when I was looking for it, paying very close attention. Then I went to another room to pat my cat, and I still noticed it. 

I've been very dehydrated lately due to a lot of stress and panic, and so it appears that the noise problem was all in my head, and my mind just matched up the chirping to the LED in an attempt to locate a source. Funny how the mind works sometimes. 

Thank you all for your help!