A question.

I have a old sony handycam video camera and i wanted to plug it in to my laptop via composite video. i only plugged in the video.

When i opened the program on my laptop i would get ethier no signal or undistinguishable video so then i taught that the cables might be broken or something, and i also taught that the port on the camera might be also damaged. When i plugged the video & audio it worked fine but for some reason when i unplugged the audio cable and the signal would freeze.

I wonder why because the other end at the video capture card it does not support RCA audio and only Video but it does have a regular audio jack and i used a audio jack to RCA that i had laying around so. How i really do not know alot about composite video. Anyone have an explanation for that?

You might want to provide some pictures of what you've rigged up and the model of both the camera and the capture device. What software are you using to capture the video/audio?

i used Vhs to dvd 5.0. My question is that. does video signals go trough the audio port on the camera or if the camera has a sensor that detects if the audio cable is plugged into the tv or any other device?