Display for old smartphone MoBo

_namenick_

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for an answer almost everywhere but it looks like a difficult question to locate in a sub category and to answer to.

Long story short, I have and old Android phone, Xiaomi mi8se with cracked and broken display, everything else looks ok. I would like to re-use it, attached to a biigger screen for a project. I just can't figure out what kind of connector is used from MoBo to the touchscreen display itself and how to find a compatible one.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much

P.S. sorry mods if it's the wrong category, couldn't really choose which was best

31 minutes ago, _namenick_ said:

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for an answer almost everywhere but it looks like a difficult question to locate in a sub category and to answer to.

Long story short, I have and old Android phone, Xiaomi mi8se with cracked and broken display, everything else looks ok. I would like to re-use it, attached to a biigger screen for a project. I just can't figure out what kind of connector is used from MoBo to the touchscreen display itself and how to find a compatible one.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much

P.S. sorry mods if it's the wrong category, couldn't really choose which was best

It's proprietary. So you can't use a bigger screen only the screen made for that model phone.

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's proprietary. So you can't use a bigger screen only the screen made for that model phone.

As I suspected, damn.

Some sort of conversion is not possible right?

Using the usb-c as output?

2 minutes ago, _namenick_ said:

As I suspected, damn.

Some sort of conversion is not possible right?

Using the usb-c as output?

It doesn't support video out.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

It doesn't support video out.

That's as much bad news as you could give me tbh 😑

1 minute ago, _namenick_ said:

That's as much bad news as you could give me tbh 😑

Video out on phones is really rare. Usually only niche units or the flagships have it.

Just now, jaslion said:

Video out on phones is really rare. Usually only niche units or the flagships have it.

As far as you know, is that proprietary Xiaomi connector specific for the phone or is it the same on any Xiaomi? Would be a better chance to find some sort of adapter

Just now, _namenick_ said:

As far as you know, is that proprietary Xiaomi connector specific for the phone or is it the same on any Xiaomi? Would be a better chance to find some sort of adapter

Usually it's unique to the phone or series. And you won't find an adapter for it. It's basically a random phone. Extremely known and popular ones might have one but that is also an extremely slim chance because who would ever want to not use their phone as a phone?

Just now, jaslion said:

Usually it's unique to the phone or series. And you won't find an adapter for it. It's basically a random phone. Extremely known and popular ones might have one but that is also an extremely slim chance because who would ever want to not use their phone as a phone?

Well, me.

I mean didn't think it was that stange, they could be some sort of very powerful arduinos. If you have a broken screen of course

Just now, _namenick_ said:

Well, me.

I mean didn't think it was that stange, they could be some sort of very powerful arduinos. If you have a broken screen of course

That's what the raspberry pi is for. Or other solutions like that.

Just now, jaslion said:

That's what the raspberry pi is for. Or other solutions like that.

Don't know if it's powerful enough to be an Android Auto device or kind of that

4 minutes ago, _namenick_ said:

Don't know if it's powerful enough to be an Android Auto device or kind of that

For those situations you it's easiest to just get an android auto kit. There's plenty of far more powerfull unit's than your phone out there on the market. The pi is just the most commonly known one.

I know there are a lot of them, but they look very pricy for what they offer and mostly chinese solutions with bad quality and generally speaking non customizable ugly graphics.

I would have liked to use my phone since it's pretty powerful and complete and I would have integrated it and the screen to the cockpit in a DIY way of some sort.

Don't know if the kits you are referring to are the ones I saw, but is the Pi a good platform for the job?

Obv. I want to spend as little as possible, with the phone only expense would have been the screen and some crafting to fit it in the consolle of the car

1 minute ago, _namenick_ said:

I know there are a lot of them, but they look very pricy for what they offer and mostly chinese solutions with bad quality and generally speaking non customizable ugly graphics.

I would have liked to use my phone since it's pretty powerful and complete and I would have integrated it and the screen to the cockpit in a DIY way of some sort.

Don't know if the kits you are referring to are the ones I saw, but is the Pi a good platform for the job?

Obv. I want to spend as little as possible, with the phone only expense would have been the screen and some crafting to fit it in the consolle of the car

As long as you use the 4gb pi 4 it will be plenty fast. Also how would you have even gotten android auto on your phone in the first place. There's no roms for that.

Good question, I would have used the old app or just the normal android OS.

Situation is quite particular since car has already built in Bluetooth and Sync.

I would have kept the mi8se connected al the time to bluetooth.

Having 3 devices: phone, pi and car system, would be quite a mess to make them work seamless. I think there would be too many functions getting overlapped