Pay for faster ram worth it to improve igpu? (Not a noob lol)

TheAxe

PC geniuses assemble!

Yea ok that was lame haha but anyways........

I have a Dell Inspiron 7573 and this was suppose to just be a "tie me over" until I get the cash for one of those sweet Ryzen 4000 gaming laptops.

Well tbh.... I think im going to keep it lol.....

It has an uhd 620 for graphics

I love the 2 in 1 and in all reality I don't really game, just have a few games that I play (solo games, high fps not needed) like Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft. But naturally the higher detail I can run the better.

So this laptop has a single 16gb stick of ddr4 2400mhz ram running at cl 17

I clearly will benefit from dual channel so looking to do so I have a few options. (No ram soldered to the board thank god haha)

From what I have read this laptop will run up to 2666mhz ram just fine, but I think xmp will not work.

I could buy 2x8gb sticks for 16gb total (dedicating 8gb to the uhd 620)

I could buy 2x16 for 32gb total (16gb available to igpu)

Both scenarios I would just sell my 16gb factory stick.

Now I am a huge multitasker so its very possible that I may have a few programs open, 10 tabs in chrome and a game I'm jumping in and out of or more lol.... So I am kinda thinking 32GB total ram may be a good idea?

Any opinions on that?

Also my main question is the speed and latency of the ram.

I want to get as much performance out of this uhd 620 as possible. 

If going 2x16GB I have 2 real options with consideration to xmp being off the table...

This..... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075RRM5SC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A23AD5LOJUVSEP&psc=1 

its a 2x16GB 2400Mhz CL17 set for $160 Canadian rupees. lol

Or this.... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NAL3TYY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AECIPMEQNVKO2&psc=1 

a 2x16GB 2666Mhz CL16? It has multiple jedec 1333mhz profiles (see reviews for pics of profiles) so I assume that's for compatibility with other ram and 2 of these sticks together would run at CL 16?

This second set is $50 more.

Now clearly the second set is better in both speed and timings in their jedec profiles but my question is.....

Would the extra $50 improve the uhd graphics enough over the cheaper ram to justify the cost increase?

The cpu is an i7 8550u and benches/runs amazing! I tweaked it a little with throttlestop and its better then my old 6700HQ. So that shouldn't be a bottle neck I would think?

I tried searching google and youtube but all I seem to find is dual vs. single channel which is obvious to me and comparisons between higher speed ram. I can't seem to find anything that specifically talks about this.

What does the brains here think?

Will getting the faster ram benefit my uhd 620 enough to justify $50 more? If I can run high over medium or even just with a few settings that would be worth it to me.

Also should I get 2x8GB for what I described above or could that possibly bottle neck my multitasking habits?

Any experience?

Thanks in advance :)

depends of the game, also if you are in 4k more video memory is good than speed.

Think about oc your memory and save and buy not so fast memory but aceable.

1080p and overclocking is not possible on this laptop..... cant even enable xmp

I am thinking 32GB either way unless I have some strong opinions that its overkill....

Mostly wondering if the extra $50 for ddr4 2666 CL16 would yield me at least noticeable gains over DDR4 2400 CL17 with the uhd 620 Graphics

2 hours ago, TheAxe said:

1080p and overclocking is not possible on this laptop..... cant even enable xmp

I am thinking 32GB either way unless I have some strong opinions that its overkill....

Mostly wondering if the extra $50 for ddr4 2666 CL16 would yield me at least noticeable gains over DDR4 2400 CL17 with the uhd 620 Graphics

well, since it is an igpu, dont waste your money, just make sure you are in dual channel and buy value ram.

for today 16 gb is enogh, even i am in 8 gb still and my cpu cant use even 5 gb, so im overkill 3 gb even with my heaviest 3d cad cam aplication.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude but it kinda feels like your telling me just buy cheap because its integrated graphics. Do you have any data or sources to back up this thought or is it just your opinion an igpu is not worth trying to get more out of? Do you feel going dual channel is a waste too?

Also again I really dont mean to be rude but I do know what I'm talking about and your blanket statement of "for today 16GB is enough" I'm sorry but is completely inaccurate. 

It all depends on what you use your pc or laptop for and 16GB can be chewed up fast if you are video editing, gaming or hell have you ever had 20 tabs open in chrome at once?

Do it and go see the 10 plus GB that uses alone. Or in your case how much page file gets written to your HDD.

I appreciate the replies but just because you feel igpu's arnt worth the time and 8GB or ram is overkill doesn't make it true. I personally have seen 10GB+ of memory used in my laptop.

The UHD 620 is close to a Vega 8 btw, not as good for sure but for non AAA games its pretty good.

Maybe someone else could chime in?

Well Finally found something very close to the answer I'm looking for....

Its HD not UHD and DDR3 but in that particular setup faster speed and timings got just under a 10% improvement in speed.

Still would like to find out DDR4 and UHD 

I would imagine it would be similar though.

1) stick to 2x8gb (you do not need 32gb, in the case that you are doing 3d stuff, get a new rig)

2) rams do not improve your FPS, it improves frametime (frametime is the staibility of FPS presented so it yields are more console like exp. *just prevents frame drops)

3) just get something cheap since mhz/ timing is not going to yield a tremendous diff. My only suggestion is that the real speed of the ram equals 200.

ex) 2400mhz should have CL 12 minimum. 2666 13cl minimum.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

So I went with 2x8GB of the faster ram. Yea 16GB should be good.

its only running at 2400Mhz despite the jedec supporting 2666. 

I updated the bios hoping it would change but nope.

Kinda disappointed .... Although its running at CL14 Instead of CL 17 at 2400Mhz which is good but definitely would be nice to get the extra speed :/