Microsoft GameInput API

Go to solution Solved by FirehawkV21,

After some digging, I can confirm that the files are legit. The files were installed together with the Xbox Gaming Services. Possibly to cover some dependencies for some games. Maybe the files could be used like Steam Input, where you can remap the buttons on the fly. Or they could be used for Project xCloud (assuming that Windows users will be able to use their systems as a local data center, much like on Xbox One). I can't find any documentation about it yet (maybe since anything they are working on is still under development) but since it's included with the other gaming services that come with the Xbox PC app, we could see some extra functionality coming soon. But as far as I can see, only the service package shows any dependency to it.

Hi there,

I just realized there is a bunch of files signed by 

CN = Microsoft Code Signing PCA 2010
O = Microsoft Corporation
L = Redmond
S = Washington
C = US

in my "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft GameInput".

The signature is issued at April 7, 2020 and I fail to find any documentation on what these files are and what they do.
Here is the complete list of said files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft GameInput\x64\gameinput.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft GameInput\x64\gameinputredist.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft GameInput\x64\gameinputsvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft GameInput\x86\gameinput.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft GameInput\x86\gameinputredist.dll

3rd file is a Windows Service and it's description says as follows:

Host service for GameInput.

My concern lies in two levels:

1. Are these files legit? Not malicious?
  2. If they are legit, what they do? I don't like Microsoft spying on me whenever it wants. Should I be concerned about my privacy with these?

Anyone knows anything about this?

After some digging, I can confirm that the files are legit. The files were installed together with the Xbox Gaming Services. Possibly to cover some dependencies for some games. Maybe the files could be used like Steam Input, where you can remap the buttons on the fly. Or they could be used for Project xCloud (assuming that Windows users will be able to use their systems as a local data center, much like on Xbox One). I can't find any documentation about it yet (maybe since anything they are working on is still under development) but since it's included with the other gaming services that come with the Xbox PC app, we could see some extra functionality coming soon. But as far as I can see, only the service package shows any dependency to it.

Well that's a relief. I'm not using any Xbox related app or gaming service on my PC, so I turn that service off for now.

Is there any way you could run a SFC /Scannow command and see in the CBS.log that it outputs if it tries to fix the GameInput.dll found in System32 and SysWow64? For my system SFC is replacing these new GameInput.dll with older and smaller ones. On restart the new GameInput.dll from April 7, 2020 come back. I'm wondering if that will happen  to you as well. Or maybe I need to update my Windows and that will update SFC as well.

I saw these GameInput processes running in Task Manager and they were created 4/7/2020 as well. I recently reinstalled and updated my Xbox (Beta) app so like you found out, it most likely is related to that. I have these 4/7/2020 GameInput.dll's in my System32, SysWow64, and all the folders you posted in your first post.

I also recently updated and reinstalled the Xbox (Beta) app for PC Game Pass. So I agree that it might have something to do with that.

Thanks!

I'm currently updating my Windows 10 to version 2004. I'll give it a go afterwards.
My guess is SFC's database is not updated to fetch the latest version of those files. Nothing to worry about.

7 hours ago, Rahmat Baghdadi said:

I'm currently updating my Windows 10 to version 2004. I'll give it a go afterwards.
My guess is SFC's database is not updated to fetch the latest version of those files. Nothing to worry about.

I was thinking the same thing that the database was maybe not up to date since I haven't updated my Windows in a while either.

Thank you for your help!

On 4/18/2020 at 10:14 AM, Rahmat Baghdadi said:

Well, SFC did nothing to those files. Reported as promised.

Thank you so much for the follow up! It must just be pulling from an older database on my system then since I haven't updated Windows in months.