Seemingly random crashes

TheJiminy
Go to solution Solved by TheJiminy,
On 4/9/2020 at 3:22 PM, Mike Tyson said:

There is hope.  Go download Aida64 and run the stability test and take the check off of the GPU, so that wont be taxed at all.  If it crashes then its a faulty mobo or PSU.  Then you can test with GPU ticked and run it and if it crashes then its the video card and mobo together somehow not playing nice with each other and what not.

Little update, switched out the RAM for some a new set and everything seems to be going smoothly two days in a row. Looks like I got unlucky with some bad RAM.

No helpful information at all in event viewer after a crash. Crashes are seemingly random but seem to occur more frequently when playing a game. It has only crashed a single time while idling on the desktop. I should point out this is a new build, and all parts were bought new. The crashes will either freeze the computer completely and get stuck, forcing my to manually restart the computer or it will sometimes restart instantly after a crash. I haven't really noticed a pattern to this.

Specs:
Windows 10
MBoard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
GFX: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT BLS16G4D32AEST 16GB Dual Rank
PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V3 750 W Gold
SSD: Intel SSDPEKNW512G8X1 660P M2 (Boot Drive)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB

Tried:
Updating BIOS
Reinstalling Windows
Clean install of drivers
Reseating/Rebuilding all parts
Swapping memory slots
Checked HDD/SSD health with CrystalDisk, no problems.

Mem Test (Windows and also MemTest86): 4 passes, no errors.

OCCT Stress Tests
OCCT and Linpack CPU Stress Test: 20 Minutes, no errors
GPU Stress Test: 20 Minutes, 8 shader complexity, no errors
GPU Mem Test: 25 Minutes, 84 Iterations
PSU Test: 20 Minutes, no errors

Temps after testing: (Min, Max)
GPU: 44c, 72c
CPU Package: 35c, 77c
CPU: 35c, 77c

9 minutes ago, TheJiminy said:

No helpful information at all in event viewer after a crash. Crashes are seemingly random but seem to occur more frequently when playing a game. It has only crashed a single time while idling on the desktop. I should point out this is a new build, and all parts were bought new. The crashes will either freeze the computer completely and get stuck, forcing my to manually restart the computer or it will sometimes restart instantly after a crash. I haven't really noticed a pattern to this.

Specs:
Windows 10
MBoard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
GFX: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT BLS16G4D32AEST 16GB Dual Rank
PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V3 750 W Gold
SSD: Intel SSDPEKNW512G8X1 660P M2 (Boot Drive)
HDD: Western Digital 1TB

Tried:
Updating BIOS
Reinstalling Windows
Clean install of drivers
Reseating/Rebuilding all parts
Swapping memory slots
Checked HDD/SSD health with CrystalDisk, no problems.

Mem Test (Windows and also MemTest86): 4 passes, no errors.

OCCT Stress Tests
OCCT and Linpack CPU Stress Test: 20 Minutes, no errors
GPU Stress Test: 20 Minutes, 8 shader complexity, no errors
GPU Mem Test: 25 Minutes, 84 Iterations
PSU Test: 20 Minutes, no errors

Temps after testing: (Min, Max)
GPU: 44c, 72c
CPU Package: 35c, 77c
CPU: 35c, 77c

DId you OC anything ?  Try one RAM stick and let me know.

Intel 10980XE @ 4.6Ghz / Gigabyte x299x Aorus Master / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i / Corsair H115i Pro RGB / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition / AOC 40" 4k Curved Monitor / LG 55" C9 OLED 120hz / Logitech G Pro Wireless & G915 Wireless Linear & G935 Wireless / Scarlett 2i2 USB / KRK Rokits 10-3-1 Gen4 / Sennheiser HD 650 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk By BandLab / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial M4 500GB / LaCie External Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB

39 minutes ago, Mike Tyson said:

DId you OC anything ?  Try one RAM stick and let me know.

It is a single stick of 16 RAM. I overclocked it and it seemed to make no difference in terms of crashes. The RAM are currently on the default un-overclocked settings. Other than that, I left everything else at the default settings. Nothing else is overclocked that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, TheJiminy said:

It is a single stick of 16 RAM. I overclocked it and it seemed to make no difference in terms of crashes. The RAM are currently on the default un-overclocked settings. Other than that, I left everything else at the default settings. Nothing else is overclocked that I am aware of.

Can I ask what kind of crash it is ?  BSOD ? Freeze ? or auto reboot ? or black screen ?

Intel 10980XE @ 4.6Ghz / Gigabyte x299x Aorus Master / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i / Corsair H115i Pro RGB / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition / AOC 40" 4k Curved Monitor / LG 55" C9 OLED 120hz / Logitech G Pro Wireless & G915 Wireless Linear & G935 Wireless / Scarlett 2i2 USB / KRK Rokits 10-3-1 Gen4 / Sennheiser HD 650 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk By BandLab / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial M4 500GB / LaCie External Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB

8 hours ago, Mike Tyson said:

Can I ask what kind of crash it is ?  BSOD ? Freeze ? or auto reboot ? or black screen ?

The crashes will either freeze the computer completely and get stuck, forcing my to manually restart the computer or it will sometimes restart instantly after a crash. It did BSOD once with an error regarding "Memory Management" But I haven't seen that BSOD since then after completely reinstalling everything. The two recent crashes, the computer would just freeze up and it would be stuck on a blue screen with a loud noise playing.

13 hours ago, TheJiminy said:

Swapping memory slots

You've got one stick so there is only one slot in the mobo where that RAM should go.

RAM timings are correct in BIOS ? Sometimes on some mobos "auto" picks wrong values. Use Ryzen DRAM Calculator to get "SAFE" values and make sure that those are set in BIOS.

Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

7 hours ago, TheJiminy said:

The crashes will either freeze the computer completely and get stuck, forcing my to manually restart the computer or it will sometimes restart instantly after a crash. It did BSOD once with an error regarding "Memory Management" But I haven't seen that BSOD since then after completely reinstalling everything. The two recent crashes, the computer would just freeze up and it would be stuck on a blue screen with a loud noise playing.

Your mobo can cause these kind of crashes.  Me thinks your mobo is busted.  I know the CPU is ok cuz CPU doesn't just die.. Put the video card in another PCIe slot with one stick of RAM and let us know.  Also check your mobo for red lights.  There is one for CPU and one for RAM.  We will sort this out eventually.

Just now, Mike Tyson said:

Your mobo can cause these kind of crashes.  Me thinks your mobo is busted.  I know the CPU is ok cuz CPU doesn't just die.. Put the video card in another PCIe slot with one stick of RAM and let us know.  Also check your mobo for red lights.  There is one for CPU and one for RAM.  We will sort this out eventually.

I have tried swapping the GFX card between PCIe slots, this didn't make any difference. I also only have one stick of RAM (16GB Dual Rank) in slot 4 on the Motherboard. I tried switching the RAM between the slots to see if it made a difference but it didn't so I have just left it back in slot 4 where it should be.

In terms of lights on the motherboard, there are only the ones during booting up the PC. It cycles through the LEDs (Amber, Red, Green, White) then boots up as normal. A few times when it crashed it would hang on the Amber (RAM) light and would not boot until I turned it off completely for a few minutes. This is what made me try a Memtest originally but it all came up clear with no errors so I was puzzled with it. I have had someone else who had the same crash issues as me (They described the exact types of crashes I was having) say that their problem was also with the motherboard and they had to replace it.

I think i'm going to order a replacement and see if it makes any difference. Maybe I just got unlucky with a faulty Motherboard. Thanks for the help and i'll get back to you if i'm still having issues.

It could also be the PSU dying a slow agonizing death.  Me personally I would swap the PSU and if it still giving you problems then the mobo is busted.

Just now, Mike Tyson said:

It could also be the PSU dying a slow agonizing death.  Me personally I would swap the PSU and if it still giving you problems then the mobo is busted.

I have an older lower wattage PSU that I could test it with. If I still get crashes when I replace the motherboard, I will look at testing the PSU. PSU stress tests didnt bring up any issues, however.

8 minutes ago, TheJiminy said:

I have an older lower wattage PSU that I could test it with. If I still get crashes when I replace the motherboard, I will look at testing the PSU. PSU stress tests didnt bring up any issues, however.

Well at this point I can assure you its not a busted CPU also.  I point my finger at the motherboard, however test it with another PSU like you said and let us know what happens.

There is hope.  Go download Aida64 and run the stability test and take the check off of the GPU, so that wont be taxed at all.  If it crashes then its a faulty mobo or PSU.  Then you can test with GPU ticked and run it and if it crashes then its the video card and mobo together somehow not playing nice with each other and what not.

New Mboard arrived this morning, replaced it and have it has been smooth sailing all day. I'll give another couple of days to see if I get any crashes. If not, I can conclude that I had a faulty motherboard.

Okay, I just crashed again. That rules out the Motherboard I guess. Time to switch out the PSU...

Little update, switched out the RAM for some a new set and everything seems to be going smoothly two days in a row. Looks like I got unlucky with some bad RAM.