Direct upgrade from Sennheiser HD 660S

Hi Guys,

Im looking for an direct upgrade for my Sennheiser HD 660S Headphones. I'd be using them for some gaming (not important tho), mainly for long music (Rock, Rap, some Pop) listening sessions, which is why they shouldn't be fatiguing, although that's less of a concern, since my tube (Hybrid; works with planars too) amp eases treble a bit. Speaking of my current amp/dac it is the drop CTH which can draw 1W of Power so I don't care about efficiency. (Sub-) bass is irrelevant for me, I prefer my music less warm/thick, but if bass is present it has to be clear. Midrange is where my HD 660S really shine, and I don't want to miss any of that. Another important factor to me is weight, while it is needless to say less important to me than sound quality, I don't really want anything above 400g. Budgetwise it depends on how much I would gain, so can't say anything specific before seeing recommendations. Still, I am not willing to spend more than let's say 1k, I just don't think headphones are worth that much.

how about the focal elex? great midrange and not a major upgrade but a definite upgrade to the 660. 

Just now, rice guru said:

how about the focal elex? great midrange and not a major upgrade but a definite upgrade to the 660. 

Doesn't ship to Europe unfortunately.

1 minute ago, decimafocus said:

Doesn't ship to Europe unfortunately.

ah unfortunate

48 minutes ago, decimafocus said:

Hi Guys,

Im looking for an direct upgrade for my Sennheiser HD 660S Headphones. I'd be using them for some gaming (not important tho), mainly for long music (Rock, Rap, some Pop) listening sessions, which is why they shouldn't be fatiguing, although that's less of a concern, since my tube (Hybrid; works with planars too) amp eases treble a bit. Speaking of my current amp/dac it is the drop CTH which can draw 1W of Power so I don't care about efficiency. (Sub-) bass is irrelevant for me, I prefer my music less warm/thick, but if bass is present it has to be clear. Midrange is where my HD 660S really shine, and I don't want to miss any of that. Another important factor to me is weight, while it is needless to say less important to me than sound quality, I don't really want anything above 400g. Budgetwise it depends on how much I would gain, so can't say anything specific before seeing recommendations. Still, I am not willing to spend more than let's say 1k, I just don't think headphones are worth that much.

Hm, The Stax SRS-3100 might work quite well. But unfortunately you have to use them with the included exciter so your amp wouldn't be used.

The Audeze LCD-2 will also work well, and you can use your current AMP.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/headphones-headphone-cable-accessories/audeze-lcd-2-closed-back-headphones.html

https://www.analogueseduction.net/headphones-headphone-cable-accessories/srs-3100.html

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)