Work and Play PC

v1shnu

Planning to build a new desktop in a couple of months (probably after 3 months. Planning ahead so that I can start saving the $$$).

Budget & Location - India, Budget around Rs. 120000 , can add another 10k more.

Aim -

1. Mainly for Gaming (want to run the latest games on the best settings) mostly FPS like COD,Battlefield , GTA (excited for the Cyberpunk too). Also plan to add the Logitech G29 to my rig for simulation racing sometime later.
  2. Since I'm a programmer by profession, I would do a lot of coding at home ie. running a couple of IDE's and browsers (esp. Chrome) at the same time. Sometimes also run a couple of VM's and Docker for learning purposes.

Monitors -  Would also include a monitor in the build. Minimum size of 24" is required.

Peripherals - Would need a decent keyboard and mouse (both wireless.) OS not needed, I have 8.1 which I think can upgrade to Win10 (hopefully), if not , I'm okay to buying Windows 10 Home. Wifi adapter is needed (Don't plan to stretch the LAN cable from the router to rig.)

Why are you upgrading?

I bought a Dell XPS 15" laptop around 9 years back for college. During the initial years, I was doing a lot of gaming but due to hardware constraints, that hobby of mine died slowly. Now, I mostly use my laptop for browsing and watching movies. My idea was to buy a Macbook Pro or setup a desktop. Since my work already gives me a Macbook for use, I thought I would setup a pc so that I can revive my hobby.

I don't have any experience with setting up PC's but think I can manage with youtube videos and tutorials. This PC should be able to last at least for the next 5 years, and maybe after that I would do an upgrade (add another graphics card or change a processor ) to keep it running good for another 3-5 years before I totally change.

Note on overclocking - Haven't done it before and not sure if I will do it. But willing to take the risk. (Prefer Intel processor, but willing to try AMD if without any hassles for installing applications - I read AMD have trouble installing Android Studio.)

42 minutes ago, Shooterdude34 said:

I don't think the prices would be same in India as you have mentioned above. You will have to use in.pcpartpicker for the actual prices in India as it will fetch from Amazon India (however, it will not show up now as Amazon has stopped shipment of non essential products due to the current situation ) and Newegg india. So I think the parts would have to be redone due to pricing differences.

I have a part list using the Ryzen 7. Please let me know your thoughts on this - https://in.pcpartpicker.com/user/v1chu/saved/#view=HbcRTW

47 minutes ago, v1shnu said:

I don't think the prices would be same in India as you have mentioned above. You will have to use in.pcpartpicker for the actual prices in India as it will fetch from Amazon India (however, it will not show up now as Amazon has stopped shipment of non essential products due to the current situation ) and Newegg india. So I think the parts would have to be redone due to pricing differences.

I have a part list using the Ryzen 7. Please let me know your thoughts on this - https://in.pcpartpicker.com/user/v1chu/saved/#view=HbcRTW

looks like a very decent build

I'm still thinking about the motherboard choice whether to go with the TOMAHAWK MAX or this one. Although it will support Ryzen 9 series, allowing me to upgrade in the future if required, I feel the B450 chipset might become old. Also thinking if I should go with a 2070 SUPER or not.

Can you please give your comments on these.

44 minutes ago, v1shnu said:

I'm still thinking about the motherboard choice whether to go with the TOMAHAWK MAX or this one. Although it will support Ryzen 9 series, allowing me to upgrade in the future if required, I feel the B450 chipset might become old. Also thinking if I should go with a 2070 SUPER or not.

Can you please give your comments on these.

the 2070 super has about the same performance as the 2080 but cheaper. if you can fit it id go with it. also if futureproofing is a big concern for you and you have the budget, go with x570. Its all mainly about price