Graphical problems

Moress

Hey all, been awhile.

My brother's PC has been having some crashing problems over the last couple weeks. It'll crash during gaming, and while Idle. Itll have graphical artifacting and then crash. When it boots up it'll be locked to some resolution below 1080p (cant remember specific res) and say that the GPU has an error. The pc told us that it was critical registry errors and would go into a boot loop, so i booted from a flash drive and reinstalled windows.

Of course my first thought is that the GPU is dieing, but I would guess that some of the software workarounds that have worked for a few days to a week at a time wouldn't fix a hardware issue.

Things we have done:

Restarted the pc
Restarted the pc in safemode and:

reverted back to previous gpu drivers

updated all drivers to newest available

reinstalled drivers

reinstalled windows 10

Some of these things will fix it for a few days at a time, then itll happen again. This also happened when he first got the pc back in the winter of 2018, but we reinstalled windows and it worked fine for almost 2 years so we figured it was some kind of software issue, until it started back. I would say just RMA the gpu and be done with it, but with the current crisis we can't really ship anything out for awhile so I'm hoping to find a fix.

Some ideas I have to go forward:
Bios flash
Switch PCIE slot

Maybe its a hard-drive issue? (Because its not ONLY gpu issues)

Switch the 2070 out for a 1050ti we have laying in an old build for now
Burn it in holy fire

Build:
1700x (not overclocked)
Asus B450 prime

Hyper 212 evo
EVGA G2 750w PSU
Nvidia 2070

16gb vengeance lpx

Samsung 850 - 1gb SSD

Sorry if I missed anything and feel free to ask for more info, some of this is just from the top of my head since he's asleep and I'm awake stressing about this

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Is the graphics card overclocked? You didn't clarify whether or not it was, that sounds like it would be the issue or at least part of it. Either way, I would suggest down-clocking it incrementally until it stops. If that fixes it and you weren't massively overclocking, I would suggest submitting a warranty request if it's still within its warranty period.

Some possibilities I might consider. Hassale from low to high:

1. There is an error in your BIOS somehow. Flash the latest BIOS. This would also deal with potential problems caused by OC.

2. PCI-E slot is somehow bad. Try another PCI-E slot.

3. There are some bad blocks on your SSD/ memory where your graphics driver happened to reside on. When the system trys to read from it it freaks out.

- Reseating, or replacing your memory sticks

- trying another SSD or load a Windows to go image or a linux distribution on a flash drive and try to run some games on it.

4. The power supply might only be marginally capable of handling your system or it's dead. Try another power supply.

5. Your power line is not very stable. Plug it in somewhere else and try again.

CPU:      OctalCore AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 4350 MHz (43.5 x 100)

MOBO:   MSI B450M Mortar Max (MS-7B89)

RAM:     2x Corsair CM4X16GC3200C16K2E 16 GB DDR4-3200 @ 24-20-20-38

GPU:      nVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

PSU:      Sliverstone ST60F-PB 600W

Case:     Cooler Master Silencio S400

Monitor: 2x AOC U2790B  [27" LCD]

13 minutes ago, Rainverm38 said:

Is the graphics card overclocked? You didn't clarify whether or not it was, that sounds like it would be the issue or at least part of it. Either way, I would suggest down-clocking it incrementally until it stops. If that fixes it and you weren't massively overclocking, I would suggest submitting a warranty request if it's still within its warranty period.

Its not manually overclocked but does use the the GPU overdrive or whatever thats called from Nvidia, we will try manually clocking it to factory rating tomorrow

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED