GPU Fans Dying - Unsure What To Do

Krolic

TLDR: GPU fans seem to be dying, not sure how to fix without buying fans from China that will take months to get here, or if I should buy a new card. Not looking for really janky DIY solutions with fans and zip-ties (I know those are a thing).

I recently noticed the fans in my GPU are sounding odd and the bearings seem to be wearing out, and I'm not sure how much life they have left (weeks, months, years, etc.). With everything in the world right now (ie, Human Malware - (C) Gamers Nexus) I am not sure what the best plan is. I am currently rocking a Zotac GTX 1070 Amp and was able to find aftermarket fan replacements, but they are shipping from China and the current estimated time is about a month, which will probably be much longer right now. My other options are to buy a card comparable to what I have now (ie, something used or a 1660 Ti) or actually upgrade (2060 super). I only have 1080p monitors but they are 144Hz, so I am looking for high refresh rate. Prices on newer cards are still OK right now (by looking at Amazon) but unclear what will happen in the coming months, and I will need one for both work and gaming, and gaming is a necessity for my sanity. I know they are janky DIY options to fix GPU fans (ie, fans and zip-ties), but I'm not looking to do something like that and with my luck I'll just brick it.  What I'm wondering is exactly what to do right now given my situation and the market. I was hoping for the newer 3000 series, but they'll probably be more pushed back and in higher demand raising prices. 

PS: I do need NVIDIA since my work from home does use CUDA. I would love a 5700(XT) but they won't work well with the work I do. Unfortunately the stuff I use is not compatible with OpenCL, yet. 

CPUAMD 3800x; GPUASUS TUF RTX 3070; Motherboard: Asus Prime x570-Pro;

CPU Coolerbe quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3; RAMG.SKILL Ripjaws V 32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz;  

Case: NZXT H440; PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W; Storage: Intel 600P SSD 512GB, Segate Barracuda 2TB HDD @ 7200RPM

Probably should upgrade. I've noticed you've got a nice CPU. So wait till the Nvidia RTX 3000 series comes out and buy a RTX 3060 Super till then if you're comfortable with it be a little janky with the zip ties. Or if you need a gpu now get a RTX 2060 Super

8 minutes ago, Krolic said:

TLDR: GPU fans seem to be dying, not sure how to fix without buying fans from China that will take months to get here, or if I should buy a new card. Not looking for really janky DIY solutions with fans and zip-ties (I know those are a thing).

I recently noticed the fans in my GPU are sounding odd and the bearings seem to be wearing out, and I'm not sure how much life they have left (weeks, months, years, etc.). With everything in the world right now (ie, Human Malware - (C) Gamers Nexus) I am not sure what the best plan is. I am currently rocking a Zotac GTX 1070 Amp and was able to find aftermarket fan replacements, but they are shipping from China and the current estimated time is about a month, which will probably be much longer right now. My other options are to buy a card comparable to what I have now (ie, something used or a 1660 Ti) or actually upgrade (2060 super). I only have 1080p monitors but they are 144Hz, so I am looking for high refresh rate. Prices on newer cards are still OK right now (by looking at Amazon) but unclear what will happen in the coming months, and I will need one for both work and gaming, and gaming is a necessity for my sanity. I know they are janky DIY options to fix GPU fans (ie, fans and zip-ties), but I'm not looking to do something like that and with my luck I'll just brick it.  What I'm wondering is exactly what to do right now given my situation and the market. I was hoping for the newer 3000 series, but they'll probably be more pushed back and in higher demand raising prices. 

PS: I do need NVIDIA since my work from home does use CUDA. I would love a 5700(XT) but they won't work well with the work I do. Unfortunately the stuff I use is not compatible with OpenCL, yet. 

Are you sure it isn't coil whine and that your gpu can't operate passively when idle or under a light load?

Just now, DGC said:

Are you sure it isn't coil whine and that your gpu can't operate passively when idle or under a light load?

I thought coil whine originally but looking at videos online on what it sounds like and some testing I'm pretty sure it is the fans. 

CPU Coolerbe quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3; RAMG.SKILL Ripjaws V 32 GB DDR4 @ 3600 MHz;  

Case: NZXT H440; PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W; Storage: Intel 600P SSD 512GB, Segate Barracuda 2TB HDD @ 7200RPM

see if you can buy replacement fans, not the entire cooler but just the fans specific to your card.

1 hour ago, DGC said:

see if you can buy replacement fans, not the entire cooler but just the fans specific to your card.

I found the fans, but the estimated shipping from China is already about a month and I except that's going to be a lot worse right now.

you could buy an aftermarket cooler, I did it, I had a reference vega 64 it was hot loud, and thermal throttled, with my aftermarket cooler it's inaudible, doesn't hit 59c and it can overclock, but it's now twice as heavy and takes up 4 slots instead of 2. or you could ziptie fans, that always works, and usually works better then the original cooler

28 minutes ago, DGC said:

you could buy an aftermarket cooler, I did it, I had a reference vega 64 it was hot loud, and thermal throttled, with my aftermarket cooler it's inaudible, doesn't hit 59c and it can overclock, but it's now twice as heavy and takes up 4 slots instead of 2. or you could ziptie fans, that always works, and usually works better then the original cooler

What kind of aftermarket GPU coolers are available, other than liquid cooling.