HDMI Male To VGA Female adapter stopped working

Go to solution Solved by johnny5c,
30 minutes ago, Waffle_Loard said:

The adapter is being used on a laptop, i tested it successfully on another laptop but am unable to get it to work on mine.

I ran into this with a similar adapter, it uses the +5v in the HDMI output to power the adapter and some devices don't supply enough current for it to function.  What it sounds like in your case is the port on your laptop isn't active or active long enough for it to power up and detect a signal.  The way I can trick mine into working with some devices is to connect a HDMI monitor and power down the system, then swap the HDMI cable for the adapter and power it back up.  If that doesn't work try a adapter that has a external power source.

I've had this hdmi to vga adapter for some time now (several months) then it just suddenly stopped working when I went to go plug it back in just a few days ago. 

When I plug in the monitor to my laptop it does not detect anything unless the monitor is "scanning" for connections, when it does detect it it appears for a moment on my laptops nvidia, intel, and windows display settings then disappears almost immediately, all the while the second monitor is blank and says no signal.

My laptop is a Acer Nitro 5 (model no: ANS515-53 1050ti with 256 gb ssd)

The monitor is a HP Compaq LA2206x

The adapter is a Moread HDMI to VGA (link below)

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Gold-Plated-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B00SW9JI9A

What I have tried

- Reinstalling and updating everything including windows and drivers

- updated bios

- tested the monitor and adapter together on another pc with no error

- tested my laptop with a hdmi monitor with no error

- tested a separate vga monitor using the same adapter and had the same issue

The only variable that has changed to possibly cause an issue is a windows update (do not 100% recall if one occurred within the time I was not hooked up to the monitor) and me resetting to defaults on nvidia control panel

5 minutes ago, Waffle_Loard said:

I've had this hdmi to vga adapter for some time now (several months) then it just suddenly stopped working when I went to go plug it back in just a few days ago. 

When I plug in the monitor to my laptop it does not detect anything unless the monitor is "scanning" for connections, when it does detect it it appears for a moment on my laptops nvidia, intel, and windows display settings then disappears almost immediately, all the while the second monitor is blank and says no signal.

My laptop is a Acer Nitro 5 (model no: ANS515-53 1050ti with 256 gb ssd)

The monitor is a HP Compaq LA2206x

The adapter is a Moread HDMI to VGA (link below)

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Gold-Plated-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B00SW9JI9A

What I have tried

- Reinstalling and updating everything including windows and drivers

- updated bios

- tested the monitor and adapter together on another pc with no error

- tested my laptop with a hdmi monitor with no error

- tested a separate vga monitor using the same adapter and had the same issue

The only variable that has changed to possibly cause an issue is a windows update (do not 100% recall if one occurred within the time I was not hooked up to the monitor) and me resetting to defaults on nvidia control panel

Do you use this adapter on a desktop or the laptop?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

The adapter is being used on a laptop, i tested it successfully on another laptop but am unable to get it to work on mine.

27 minutes ago, Waffle_Loard said:

Weird...

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

30 minutes ago, Waffle_Loard said:

I ran into this with a similar adapter, it uses the +5v in the HDMI output to power the adapter and some devices don't supply enough current for it to function.  What it sounds like in your case is the port on your laptop isn't active or active long enough for it to power up and detect a signal.  The way I can trick mine into working with some devices is to connect a HDMI monitor and power down the system, then swap the HDMI cable for the adapter and power it back up.  If that doesn't work try a adapter that has a external power source.

The only difference between the two laptops i could see causing an issue is one has and intel igpu (the one that worked successfully) and the other has a intel igpu and a 1050 ti (mine)

13 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Glorious! It worked! Thank you so much for the help!

12 minutes ago, Waffle_Loard said:

Glorious! It worked! Thank you so much for the help!

You're welcome