Manjaro Black Screen

Go to solution Solved by Oalei,
54 minutes ago, inalone said:

If you've exhausted all the options with gdm, then try a different display manager, for example sddm (which isn't the prettiest out of the box but easily fixable with themes)

sudo pacman -Syu sddm
sudo systemctl stop gdm
sudo systemctl disable gdm
sudo systemctl enable sddm
sudo systemctl start sddm

If this works, you should reach a login screen where you can log into a GNOME session.

EDIT: also it's clear that you're a Linux beginner, and so I really would not recommend using Manjaro personally - try Ubuntu.

well i just gave up and change into KDE Plasma, just checking if its gonna be the same problem or not if it is im just gonna go to Pop_OS my first linux OS.

Yeah, im a beginner, never really have an intentions to change os except my laptop cant handle it then i kinda like it so i changed my pc into pop os then manjaro. The reason i like GNOME is because of Pop_OS :D

Yeah, the mistake I made was telling you to type GDM in capital letters. What happens now if you run "sudo systemctl start gdm.service"?

EDIT: Also you would need to be sure the "Extra" repository is definitely enabled in pacman.conf as the mesa drivers come from that repository, those are required so your GPU will work.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

8 minutes ago, Steo said:

Yeah, the mistake I made was telling you to type GDM in capital letters. What happens now if you run "sudo systemctl start gdm.service"?

EDIT: Also you would need to be sure the "Extra" repository is definitely enabled in pacman.conf as the mesa drivers come from that repository, those are required so your GPU will work.

Nothing happened. 

I don't think I'm sure at all

Well we now know that you have GNOME and xorg-server installed, so if the same thing happens after a reboot, it has to be the GPU drivers. I also noticed you are using the Extra repository, as I just realised that it's in one of your images.

Someone else did mention that doing this fixed the problem for them in the past, just though I'd mention it since you mentioned mhwd.

mhwd -i pci video-linux

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

9 hours ago, Steo said:

Well we now know that you have GNOME and xorg-server installed, so if the same thing happens after a reboot, it has to be the GPU drivers. I also noticed you are using the Extra repository, as I just realised that it's in one of your images.

Someone else did mention that doing this fixed the problem for them in the past, just though I'd mention it since you mentioned mhwd.

mhwd -i pci video-linux

Yeah I did, sudo mhwd -i pci video-linuxvideo-linux -f, reinstall and still the same result.... 

All of the hardware should be supported out of the box. Installing gnome will pull in any mesa dependencies, the only thing extra you would need is xf86-video-amdgpu

systemctl start gdm

systemctl status gdm

whats the output of status?

1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

All of the hardware should be supported out of the box. Installing gnome will pull in any mesa dependencies, the only thing extra you would need is xf86-video-amdgpu

systemctl start gdm

systemctl status gdm

whats the output of status?

There's the result.

1583939322993-649734321.jpg

Maybe I should mentioned when I installed Manjaro it said fail to mount the drive iirc. 

Edited by Oalei

Failed to mount drive?

Can you share cat /etc/fstab

Also can you check both of these.

dmesg | grep error

And

journaltcl -e

1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

Failed to mount drive?

Can you share cat /etc/fstab

Also can you check both of these.

dmesg | grep error

And

journaltcl -e

Watshdog hardware is disabled. The us stuffs is my micro USB cables that is hanging and thumb drive. 

15839486539681927164855.jpg

Is this after a clean install or an update?

If its a clean install, you may try reinstalling, something may have just went wrong during install.

Otherwise can you dump the output of journalctl to a file and upload it?

journalctl > log.txt

12 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

If its a clean install, you may try reinstalling, something may have just went wrong during install.

journalctl > log.txt

Probably an update. I can't open the file..... 

I want to reinstall os but this happens....... Idk what to do anymore tbh. 

1584005846616502650085.jpg

Edited by Oalei

27 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

What are you making your install media with?

Try using https://www.balena.io/etcher/

i already used it before and it works fine. then this happened i try to do it again then it broke.

its already working fine not a new install or anything.

@Nayr438 @Steo omfg it actuallactually repeated after a reinstall of Manjaro and the same problem fail to mount at the status after finished installing Manjaro, restarting resulting in stop job into black screen, omfg I'm so triggered. 

Same black screen same problem. 

I mean like cmon I played games download some photos, videos no probs then still this again like last time. 

I want you to try this

sudo nano /etc/fstab

UUID=your_drives_uuid       /               ext4            rw,relatime,discard     0 1

Change your fstab to match those options for /.

If you unfamiliar with nano

ctrl+x will prompt to save, type yes.

then reboot.

I know for Nvidia you need non-free, but the OP has an AMD GPU. They could also tty into their system and use pacman, so the fstab must have been correct on the previous installation.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:17 PM, Nayr438 said:

journalctl > log.txt

ok idk why i havent do it with a bootable media while troubleshooting but you know.... its fine i think

log.txt

If you've exhausted all the options with gdm, then try a different display manager, for example sddm (which isn't the prettiest out of the box but easily fixable with themes)

sudo pacman -Syu sddm
sudo systemctl stop gdm

If this works, you should reach a login screen where you can log into a GNOME session.

EDIT: also it's clear that you're a Linux beginner, and so I really would not recommend using Manjaro personally - try Ubuntu.

Edited by inalone
beginner note

Desktop PC - Xeon E3 1231 V3, MSI Z97 PC Mate, 16GB RAM, PowerColor R9 390

OS - Fedora 32 (Desktop PC), elementaryOS (laptop)

54 minutes ago, inalone said:

sudo pacman -Syu sddm
sudo systemctl stop gdm

well i just gave up and change into KDE Plasma, just checking if its gonna be the same problem or not if it is im just gonna go to Pop_OS my first linux OS.

Yeah, im a beginner, never really have an intentions to change os except my laptop cant handle it then i kinda like it so i changed my pc into pop os then manjaro. The reason i like GNOME is because of Pop_OS :D

9 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Pop_OS is a good shout as a beginner OS as well, I actually really like Pop_OS - probably my favourite Ubuntu derivative. GNOME is nice once you have it configured how you like, I agree. If you have any Linux issues in the future don't be shy to @ me or DM me.

Desktop PC - Xeon E3 1231 V3, MSI Z97 PC Mate, 16GB RAM, PowerColor R9 390

OS - Fedora 32 (Desktop PC), elementaryOS (laptop)

I use SDDM and KDE myself, but it's strange how GDM was having this issue. SDDM doesn't look the greatest by default I agree, but at least it can be customised. Someone had been having similar issues with Arch on GDM, so I assume this was a bug which also affected Manjaro. Either way, at least you got it up and running. :)

Manjaro is easier to work with than Arch itself, but it still does take some maintenance. I personally didn't really like Ubuntu, I much prefer plain Debian or Arch having tried some different distros. Of course, the learning curve is the only issue when it comes to certain distros, but you learn more eventually from working with the Linux OS.

3 hours ago, Steo said:

I use SDDM and KDE myself, but it's strange how GDM was having this issue. SDDM doesn't look the greatest by default I agree, but at least it can be customised. Someone had been having similar issues with Arch on GDM, so I assume this was a bug which also affected Manjaro. Either way, at least you got it up and running. :)

Manjaro is easier to work with than Arch itself, but it still does take some maintenance. I personally didn't really like Ubuntu, I much prefer plain Debian or Arch having tried some different distros. Of course, the learning curve is the only issue when it comes to certain distros, but you learn more eventually from working with the Linux OS.

idk whats happening with my KDE but it kept freezing after a while. For now im using Pop Os 19.10 and have an error on my daemon control file iirc, but its running fine so i wont bother with it for a while. Maybe i will try XFCE for a few weeks to see if i like it or nah. I honestly want to use KDE so i can customize it but like..... idk why its freezing after opening a discord server so i just go Pop Os for now.....

i've been thinking to just use Arch Linux but i heard its kinda different from manjaro they said even though its the distro, so maybe i will just see some arch linux stuff before actually changing into it with my laptop (if its light enough).

39 minutes ago, Oalei said:

idk whats happening with my KDE but it kept freezing after a while. For now im using Pop Os 19.10 and have an error on my daemon control file iirc, but its running fine so i wont bother with it for a while. Maybe i will try XFCE for a few weeks to see if i like it or nah. I honestly want to use KDE so i can customize it but like..... idk why its freezing after opening a discord server so i just go Pop Os for now.....

i've been thinking to just use Arch Linux but i heard its kinda different from manjaro they said even though its the distro, so maybe i will just see some arch linux stuff before actually changing into it with my laptop (if its light enough).

If you go back to KDE later.

Try changing the opengl version for the compositor or disabling it.

You can also run "dmesg | grep error" to make sure everything is working and loaded in. I personally recommend this after any Linux install and kernel updates.

51 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

If you go back to KDE later.

Try changing the opengl version for the compositor or disabling it.

You can also run "dmesg | grep error" to make sure everything is working and loaded in. I personally recommend this after any Linux install and kernel updates.

Well I will look into that, not anytime soon thou. Even though I want to do some stuff with KDE but maybe gnome can do it too tbh, it's not some hardcore customization just a bit (kinda figuring out how I want my os to work for now) 

Yeah I did that and got a lot of errors like a dozen iirc. 

@Steo @Nayr438 @inalone

Soo I tried to change my DE into mate from Manjaro gnome. Now I'm stuck at lightdm not working.

I tried the installation of slick greeter, sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf change the greeter into lightdm-slick-greeter doesn't work. I try to use gdm again and it was working perfectly fine no problems. 

Did you install lightdm-slick-greeter befor eyou made the change?

otherwise you need to switch back to lightdm and get the output of systemctl status lightdm