Dell Precision m4700 best mxm 3.0a card

Whats up,

I randomly stumbled upon an old laptop I had gotten for college but was too bulky to lug around to class and was messing around with it. Currently, my family moved far away from my university and on vacations, I want to be able to play some games at home with my friends without having to lug my desktop all around the country. Currently it can run some games but at low settings and rarely 1080p. I also think I am limited by the lowly DDR3 VRAM. The specs currently are as follows:

CPU: Core i7 3840QM @2.8ghz

RAM: 16gb

GPU: Quadro K2000M

PSU: Generic Dell powerbrick, 180W

I am trying to figure out what graphics card to buy to upgrade it, and it seems like I have limited options with the MXM 2.0a form factor. I could get a Quadro K2100M, which would be marginally faster or the AMD FirePro M5100. If any of you guys have any other suggestions please leave it below.

• 3 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 3:33 PM, Henryquestionmark said:

Whats up,

I randomly stumbled upon an old laptop I had gotten for college but was too bulky to lug around to class and was messing around with it. Currently, my family moved far away from my university and on vacations, I want to be able to play some games at home with my friends without having to lug my desktop all around the country. Currently it can run some games but at low settings and rarely 1080p. I also think I am limited by the lowly DDR3 VRAM. The specs currently are as follows:

CPU: Core i7 3840QM @2.8ghz

RAM: 16gb

GPU: Quadro K2000M

PSU: Generic Dell powerbrick, 180W

I am trying to figure out what graphics card to buy to upgrade it, and it seems like I have limited options with the MXM 2.0a form factor. I could get a Quadro K2100M, which would be marginally faster or the AMD FirePro M5100. If any of you guys have any other suggestions please leave it below.

hello I have a dell m4700 with a Quadro M2000M and these are the performance results, the installation was easy it was plug and play to make it work you must have optimus activated

CNR20.png

Geekbench 4 CPU.png

Geekbench 4 OpenCL.png

Geekbench 5 CPU.png

Geekbench 5 CUDA.png

Geekbench 5 OpenCL.png

Geekbench 5 Vulkan.png

GPGPU AIDA64.png

GPUZ-Intel HD 4000.gif

GPUZ-Nvidia Quadro M2000M.gif

heaven benchmark.png

heaven conf.png

• 3 weeks later...

There is a GPU even more powerful than the Quadro M2000M. I actually own an M4700 and I've upgraded its GPU from a K1000M to an M2200. Since official supported drivers from Dell are compatible up to Maxwell's Nvidia GPU's for this model of workstation, this is the most powerful MXM graphics card it can handle, also its GTX equivalent 965M.

received_1305626339638112.png

• 3 years later...

Hello, i'm new here and just got the M4700 with the Quad Core Processor, please can i get a guide on how you were able to install the m2000m or m2200m, did you need to configure the inf. files

Every platform i've been to suggested m4800 is the least to work with m2000m as the m4700 is locked down

Also whats the usage/performance like, does it overheat?

Thanks

On 12/13/2023 at 1:20 PM, Unconscious_Stomach840 said:

Hello, i'm new here and just got the M4700 with the Quad Core Processor, please can i get a guide on how you were able to install the m2000m or m2200m, did you need to configure the inf. files

Every platform i've been to suggested m4800 is the least to work with m2000m as the m4700 is locked down

Also whats the usage/performance like, does it overheat?

Thanks

Rather than revive a 3 year old thread, PM me if you still need help 🙂

All the best!