cannot format second hard drive under win 10

belfouf
Go to solution Solved by .Apex.,
10 minutes ago, belfouf said:

l am not used to win 10 yet, coming over from win 7 recently (sad)

l installed the new win 10 on a NVMe SSD and am now under win 10 trying to format my old SSD with win 7 on it.

Except l cant no matter the way l tried

seems l somehow lack an access permission, any idea how to help me ?

Use your Windows 10 USB Installation again until you get to the partitioning screen and format your SSD that way, the bootloader for Windows 7 is probably being used when you're in Windows 10 so it prevents you from formatting it.

hello all, 

l installed the new win 10 on a NVMe SSD and am now under win 10 trying to format my old SSD with win 7 on it.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

10 minutes ago, belfouf said:

Use your Windows 10 USB Installation again until you get to the partitioning screen and format your SSD that way, the bootloader for Windows 7 is probably being used when you're in Windows 10 so it prevents you from formatting it.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

ok, will try that, thanks.

if you're right though, won't the formated win7 bootloader forbid win 10 from booting ? 

1 minute ago, belfouf said:

ok, will try that, thanks.

if you're right though, won't the formated win7 bootloader forbid win 10 from booting ? 

That can sometimes happen unfortunately, depends how you installed Windows 10 because in some scenarios the bootloaders can be tied together and if you remove one of them it will mess up your Windows 10 installation as well, you should never install Windows with other drives present, always disconnect all of them except the one you want to install Windows on.

Just now, _Syn_ said:

always disconnect all of them except the one you want to install Windows on.

what a wonderful feature.........

1 minute ago, belfouf said:

what a wonderful feature.........

It can be troublesome to do but it is the recommended way, and most motherboards these days allow you to disable the individual SATA drives in BIOS, so you don't have to disconnect them physically.

2 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

It can be troublesome to do but it is the recommended way, and most motherboards these days allow you to disable the individual SATA drives in BIOS, so you don't have to disconnect them physically.

thanks for your insights, l decided to erase the files instead of formatting, problem "solved"

Just now, belfouf said:

thanks for your insights, l decided to erase the files instead of formatting, problem "solved"

No problem :) and erasing the files won't get rid of the Bootloader I don't think, you will probably still see that it's an Active System partition and you might still see a Dual Boot option when you start your PC.