AMD CPU Confusion

mooommo

I have no idea how AMD cpu's naming works. I am building a new PC for my friend and he has a budget, so I ask: what is the best AMD CPU that doesn't have integrated graphics. I was looking at the 8350, but I don't want the graphics it has because i am throwing in a graphics card anyways.

Also, what about sockets? Which ones can I use with the one you recommend and what are the differences between AM3 and AM3+ and AM2 or whatever they are. Is there a socketh that is better and why?

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Get an 8320, and put it in a 990FXA-UD3 or 990XA-UD3

AM3+ = 4xxx, 6xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx

FM2+ = A4, A6, A8, A10, Athlon

FM2+ has graphics, AM3+ doesn't.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Get an 8320, and put it in a 990FXA-UD3 or 990XA-UD3

^that. Or the Asus 990FX chipset equivalent.

AM2, AM3, AM3+ are just each generational leap in sockets. I would recommend just staying with AM3+ for a decent number of USB 3 ports.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

All amd cpu's or apu's as they call them have integrated graphics except for certain ones now that I recall. Why wouldn't you want good integrated graphics anyway?

Right now the AMD A10 7850K is the leading APU from my understanding

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The FX-8350 doesn't have integrated graphics. The FX-8320 is just an underclocked 8350, so you can save money by getting the 8320 and overclocking it.

All amd cpu's or apu's as they call them have integrated graphics except for certain ones now that I recall. Why wouldn't you want good integrated graphics anyway?

Right now the AMD A10 7850K is the leading APU from my understanding

I know Intel has Xeons that have no integrated graphics that are cheaper but have the same processor.

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

I know Intel has Xeons that have no integrated graphics that are cheaper but have the same processor.

Xeons are meant for workstations and servers.

as far as i know it doesn't work that way for consumer hardware, just buy the processor you want for the sake of the processor and ignore the integrated graphics, it doesn't matter wether you have it or not, and it actually can be useful in emergencies for error diagnosing.

Xeons are meant for workstations and servers.

But they can be used on consumer grade boards for other applications like gaming.

But they can be used on consumer grade boards for other applications like gaming.

why in gods name would you use xeons for gaming? at the very very least you could have said editing or rendering.

as far as i know it doesn't work that way for consumer hardware, just buy the processor you want for the sake of the processor and ignore the integrated graphics, it doesn't matter wether you have it or not, and it actually can be useful in emergencies for error diagnosing.

I don't really understand what your trying to say, but my Xeon works perfectly fine and I bought it cause it was about $80 cheaper than the i7-3770 at the time.

why in gods name would you use xeons for gaming? at the very very least you could have said editing or rendering.

I bought the Xeon specifically for editing applications and basically because it was cheaper that an i7.  But, I also play games on that same PC.  There is very little difference between the Xeon I have and the I7-3770.

I bought the Xeon specifically for editing applications and basically because it was cheaper that an i7.  But, I also play games on that same PC.  There is very little difference between the Xeon I have and the I7-3770.

yes but specificly buying xeons for gaming would be kinda silly, as you said you bought it with editing in mind and just game on the same system because it's practical.

yes but specificly buying xeons for gaming would be kinda silly, as you said you bought it with editing in mind and just game on the same system because it's practical.

But, the Xeon (or at least my model) will preform pretty much identical to a stock i7 so it's not like it's bad to buy it for gaming.  Although I think the 8350 is better value for gaming if you don't mind the lack of selection in motherboards.

The AMD FX 8320 would be your best choice here, it's not much different from the 8350 and it doesn't have integrated graphics so the price is cheaper.

Hope this helped.