Repasting adventures

RGBisKey

Hi all, hope you're having a good day. Last night I was repasting my gtx 1060 and after the first attempt I reinstalled the card into my pc and it did nothing but power cycle. The GPU itself would turn on but it would just keep on power cycling. I took it apart again and cleaned it extremely thoroughly of all thermal paste and tried again. This time the system booted up just fine so all is good. Can anyone possibly give me a reason why it would fail like it did the first time? Thank you.

50 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

Hi all, hope you're having a good day. Last night I was repasting my gtx 1060 and after the first attempt I reinstalled the card into my pc and it did nothing but power cycle. The GPU itself would turn on but it would just keep on power cycling. I took it apart again and cleaned it extremely thoroughly of all thermal paste and tried again. This time the system booted up just fine so all is good. Can anyone possibly give me a reason why it would fail like it did the first time? Thank you.

when i took apart my Gigabyte GTX1060 a few months ago to change the paste i had the same issue, turns out my card wasn't properly installed. The clip on the PCI-e slot had an issue so it blocked my card from being fully seated inside the slot and i just removed the clip and it all worked again :)

Edited by KENBAL420

CPU: i5 4670k @4.1ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB | MB: Gigabyte Z97P-D3H | RAM: 4x4GB Generic | SSD: Gigabyte 240GB  

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 650 watt | Case: Cougar MX330G

2 hours ago, KENBAL420 said:

when i took apart my Gigabyte GTX1060 a few months ago to change the paste i had the same issue, turns out my card wasn't properly installed. The clip on the PCI-e slot had an issue so it blocked my card from being fully seated inside the slot and i just removed the clip and it all worked again :)

What kind of issue did the clip have that it didn't before that taking it apart would cause?

13 hours ago, RGBisKey said:

What kind of issue did the clip have that it didn't before that taking it apart would cause?

The mobo i bought was a second hand purchase so i got it like that. I also can't understand your question that well

CPU: i5 4670k @4.1ghz | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB | MB: Gigabyte Z97P-D3H | RAM: 4x4GB Generic | SSD: Gigabyte 240GB  

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 650 watt | Case: Cougar MX330G

-+if you apply too much paste and it gest on the sides of the chip it may sometimes affect the gpu from workinmg properly since you clean it and reapplied nad its ok then most chances are that this was the case remeber you need to have in a size of a small pea in the center of the chip