Dual D5 Pumps

Just a quick question, under what circumstances would it be better if I had two D5 pumps in a loop? Thanks!

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

if you are looking for redundancy. if one fails then the other can keep going.( put them in parallel) or more pressure/flow rate in the loop (serial). but if you want the latter go with a larger single pump. less noise and easy to setup.

larger single pump? dont really get bigger then D5 do they? :)

redundancy like said above or if you have a stupidly large system. something like 4 way SLI, cpu, motherboard, ram, (harddrives), 5 rads or something.

point is, a single D5 is enough for almost everyone. If you fill up the biggest mountain mods case, then you might beed it.. :P

(Comming soon)

I can't recommend a parallel configuration in many situations these days with head pressure being so much more important than max rate but yeah if you want redundancy then dual d5s is a great way to go

Thanks for the answers, I was just wondering because the FrozenCPU bundle that has the chrome Raystorm block comes with two D5s. I would like to have a parallel loop because to me it looks better, but it seems much more complicated.

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

if you are looking for redundancy. if one fails then the other can keep going.( put them in parallel) or more pressure/flow rate in the loop (serial). but if you want the latter go with a larger single pump. less noise and easy to setup.

Even for redundancy, serial is far superior. Martin's liquid lab did a test on this,

and found that in parallel loops with one pump failure you have quite significant

performance losses (link).

And in a standard setup, things don't look too good either.

EDIT: Standard setup meaning both pumps are working fine. Not the best choice

of words, I will admit. ;)

If one pump fails in a serial redundancy scenario, it will create comparably little additional

resistance and you should still get decent performance.

I can't recommend a parallel configuration in many situations these days with head pressure being so much more important than max rate but yeah if you want redundancy then dual d5s is a great way to go

Exactly, see above.

On another note, some pumps make a rather high pitched annoying sound on their highest

performance setting, and running two of them in series will allow you to lower their

rpm (thus avoiding that annoying sound) while still getting overall good performance.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Just to illustrate what you said:

parallelpumpsvssinglepumps.png?w=614

parallel-d5offvssingle.png?w=614

seriesvssinglepumps.png?w=614

seriesl-d5offvssingle.png?w=614

seriesparallelconclusion2.png?w=614

All credits go to MartinsLiquidLabs.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Exactly the graphs you'll find in the review I linked :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Exactly the graphs you'll find in the review I linked :)

Whoops, missed your post. :o

EDIT: No wonder, it's because you ninja'd me. Look at the post times.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Whoops, missed your post. :o

Don't worry, I didn't write it for the street cred ;). I just mentioned it in case

the OP would like to have some explanations along with the graphs by their author.

I think the double package of your post and mine is probably the perfect package. :)

EDIT: No wonder, it's because you ninja'd me. Look at the post times.

Ha! That's the first time I've ninja'd anyone, on any forum, ever! :ph34r:

Usually it's always me who go is getting ninja'd because I often write rather wordy

posts that take a while to type and somebody swoops in before me :D