Upgrading choices

Aces_Union

OK, Hi.

I've been watching many of your vids over the months and thought that maybe my case and way of upgrading my PC might interest you and even perhaps serve as an idea for a good vid.

I am in the middle of upgrading my PC. I have a 12 year old i5 650 with a GeForce GTX 450, 4 GB of DDR3 ram, 1333hz, NO case fans and HDD of 2TB. All mounted on an ASUS P7P55-m motherboard.

Like I said, I’m in the middle of upgrading, so what I’ve done so far is the following:

I bought a 1TB SSD from Samsung, EVO 850, the system actually came back to life.

The next thing I bought was a GPU, watching all your vids on the subject, I went for the gigabyte Geforce 2070 super. I also had to buy a case, as the one I had was incredibly small, and I had to do some destruction work inside to actually fit the card lol

So obviously I bought a new case. NForce Krater was the choice. I live in South Europe, Spain,  and it’s incredibly hot here.

So obviously, right now I have such a bottle neck I’m almost afraid it might actually damage the GPU due to the low power from the i5 650. Ah, talking about power, I also bought a 850 power supply, real cheap, just to get me out of the mud, and temporary, sorry to say, but it’s a mars gaming lol J Will obviously have to buy a better one before this thing blows up.

I’ve been intel all my life, never tried anything else, but looking all the vids you guys have, I’m quite urged to go AMD this time. I have a small amount of money I can put aside each month, right now I have €400 and will have between 200-400 more again at the end of the month. So here comes my question. I was thinking of getting a 3950x. I would be gaming and streaming at the same time, editing videos once I manage to get a capture card to upload. Should I get the CPU and have it sitting in a box waiting for a motherboard, RAM (32GB, 2x16) and cooler, or get a cheap motherboard, 60-90 bucks type, and switch out to a better one later, or wait until the new b550 and x series come out so the prices drop? It’s quite a dilemma, not sure what to do. Would a 3950x be overkill for that use? I want something that would be top notch and last for quite some time. At the end of this month, I could get the CPU, then go getting other parts as time goes by, I’d also thought of getting a motherboard in the 300-400 buck range, a good one, with USB type 3.2, M.2, PCIe 4 ready. So that would another full month, that’s why I was wondering if it could be put together with cheaper parts and go changing out slowly.

I’m sure about the RAM either, could I get some cheap 16GB (2x8) or 8 GB 1 dimm and then just add the 32GB to it? Or do they have to be all the same? Not sure how this DDR4 works.

Cooling is another thing, in the shops here, they all advise against AIO water because when April comes, we have 40ºc + every day until November, and they say that the water is actually hot even before you turn the PC on. So I’d go air, BeQuiet for Example. Sorry to write such a big post on your feed, and to bother, but thought that maybe it could make a good vid, as this is the real way most of mortals have deal with upgrading our PC without remortgaging the house J

Aces_Union

3950x is way overkill, if you're not making mney with that system. Get a 3700x and a b450 tomahawk max and call it a day