wan and lan.

bulletrullen_

Hello, so i decided to get pfsense (router on pc)  to fix that. I have a b525 modem. our internet speed is fine, 40/10 mbit. Im very bad at these things so i installed pfsense and didnt know i needed to connect my pc both wan and lan. I in modem there are 4 ports 3 are lan and the fourth is LAN/WAN but since it is both wan and lan, do i only need to connect 1 cable and it will work as both? and if it only can work as 1 thing, how do i make sure its running as wan. i am using 2 cables right now and installed it on a virtual machine and it is still not working. 

0 /0 B was going through ipv4 and someone said its because nothing is going through pfsense, and thats when i learned i needed 1 wan and 1 lan, now i have both and it says 0/13KiB, so something went through right? But just not much. So what could i have done wrong? how do i make sure that my wan connection is working?

7 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Do you know what a router does? (serious question)

yes. sry if i was unclear on anything. i was stressed atm.

You need to add a secondary ethernet port to the computer with a pcie card (you could use a usb adapter but Its not recommended) and set the secondary port as either the wan or lan and the first port as the other one.

Also don't forget to add a rule to let all LAN traffic out

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  You never identified a problem.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

33 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

You need to add a secondary ethernet port to the computer with a pcie card (you could use a usb adapter but Its not recommended) and set the secondary port as either the wan or lan and the first port as the other one.

Also don't forget to add a rule to let all LAN traffic out

i do have 2 ethernet cables. 1 is connected to lan and the other one is connected into a port that says WAN/LAN so its both, and i dont know if it automatically is being used as a wan port, or if its working as a lan, or if i have to do something to make it work as wan.

32 minutes ago, beersykins said:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  You never identified a problem.

im not sure if my cable plugged into wan is actually working. since pfsense is not working

19 minutes ago, bulletrullen_ said:

im not sure if my cable plugged into wan is actually working. since pfsense is not working

More of why do you want pfsense.

44 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

More of why do you want pfsense.

so i can limit bandwitdh usage. im pretty sure i cant do that on my modem

1 hour ago, bulletrullen_ said:

i do have 2 ethernet cables. 1 is connected to lan and the other one is connected into a port that says WAN/LAN so its both, and i dont know if it automatically is being used as a wan port, or if its working as a lan, or if i have to do something to make it work as wan.

But that port is in the router (not pfsense) right?

PfSense needs two ports

5 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

But that port is in the router (not pfsense) right?

PfSense needs two ports

pfsense is getting 2 ports. also, i think its my b525 that doesnt work. i just connected a "real" router to my modem instead of pfsense. i was able to go into my router settings and stuff (connected b525  to "real" router instead, but still i cant use the internet. is it possible that the huawei b525 is causing this or something?

40 minutes ago, bulletrullen_ said:

pfsense is getting 2 ports. also, i think its my b525 that doesnt work. i just connected a "real" router to my modem instead of pfsense. i was able to go into my router settings and stuff (connected b525  to "real" router instead, but still i cant use the internet. is it possible that the huawei b525 is causing this or something?

If you connect your computer directly to the b525 do you get internet?

The way this should be set up is:

WAN --------- b525 ----------- pfsense PC ----------- rest of the network (switch)

the b525 is actually a modem/router combo, it's supposed to be connected to the internet trough its phone line socket (probably labled WAN) and to the network behind it (or in your case, the pfsense computer) through the ethernet ports on it.

The ethernet port that says LAN/WAN could be used for an ethernet-type internet connection, but that would mean you have another modem-ish device sitting in between the ethernet and the cable/DSL/fibre internet connection, you didn't mention such a device so I assume that's not the case.

What type of internet connection do you have coming in? If it's DSL (phone line) it should be plugged into the DSL socket, not into the LAN/WAN ethernet port. Keep in mind that RJ45 phone line connectors are a thing; the connectors are identical to ethernet, but the cable is much thinner and flatter.

The devices behind the b525 (that is, for most people the rest of the network, and for you, the pfsense box) should be connected to the regular LAN ports on the b525, so that either the WAN/LAN port or the DSL port is used for the internet connection to the ISP. (again, I assume you need to use the DSL port for that, not the WAN/LAN ethernet port)

16 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

If you connect your computer directly to the b525 do you get internet?

yes

16 hours ago, akio123008 said:

The way this should be set up is:

WAN --------- b525 ----------- pfsense PC ----------- rest of the network (switch)

the b525 is actually a modem/router combo, it's supposed to be connected to the internet trough its phone line socket (probably labled WAN) and to the network behind it (or in your case, the pfsense computer) through the ethernet ports on it.

The ethernet port that says LAN/WAN could be used for an ethernet-type internet connection, but that would mean you have another modem-ish device sitting in between the ethernet and the cable/DSL/fibre internet connection, you didn't mention such a device so I assume that's not the case.

What type of internet connection do you have coming in? If it's DSL (phone line) it should be plugged into the DSL socket, not into the LAN/WAN ethernet port. Keep in mind that RJ45 phone line connectors are a thing; the connectors are identical to ethernet, but the cable is much thinner and flatter.

The devices behind the b525 (that is, for most people the rest of the network, and for you, the pfsense box) should be connected to the regular LAN ports on the b525, so that either the WAN/LAN port or the DSL port is used for the internet connection to the ISP. (again, I assume you need to use the DSL port for that, not the WAN/LAN ethernet port)

i have 4g internet. but if i wanna connect a router (tp link 3420) to the b525 i should connect it to the wan port right? (if i wanna replace pfsense) because it is not being used to connect to the isp, because we have 4G internet. 

2 hours ago, bulletrullen_ said:

i have 4g internet. but if i wanna connect a router (tp link 3420) to the b525 i should connect it to the wan port right? (if i wanna replace pfsense) because it is not being used to connect to the isp, because we have 4G internet. 

What? So what kind of device connects through 4g then? A phone? A 4g modem? You need to provide some more information here. A schematic drawing of the situation would be great. 

6 hours ago, bulletrullen_ said:

Is the b525 the 4g router?

If you mean b525 LAN port to WAN port on tp link then yes.

What are you trying to fix?

The confusion here I think is the WAN port, which I believe is for a second Internet connection, where the 4G would just be a backup.

I believe pfSense needs its WAN port plugged into a b525 LAN port. The WAN on pfSense would then be set to DHCP.

This will result in a double-NAT, which could be what is tripping you up here, as the pfSense LAN IP range needs to be different to what the b525 is using, or else you would end up where you are now with it not working.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7