Oculus quest VS GPU upgrade

Hello internet,

I need your assistance (sorry if this isnt in the right spot, this post didn't seem to fit in any category as it deals with VR and GPU/buying advice etc)! I have a decision to make, I want to get into VR but don't want to deal with being tethered in one spot, so when I saw the quest I got excited and thought this could be it, however the games are limited and are pricey so I got even more excited when the Oculus Link was announced so that I could play steam games that I own. This comes to my second issue, my PC isn't powerful enough to run VR with high FPS (link to userbenchmark w/specs Here). The games I would mainly be playing in VR would be Minecraft (vivecraft) and maybe VRchat with a few other misc ones thrown in as well as watching movies and the like.

My question is this: I have saved up for the quest (64 gig version @ 400 bucks) but don't know if I should get the quest (when ever its even back in stock, could be a month from now or more due to delays) and play the native games/ try my luck on getting playable frames on my current setup, OR upgrade my GPU now for better performance overall (I was thinking 2060-2060 super? Open to suggestions on that too for around 400) and wait on getting the quest/wait for the next gen untethered VR headset to come out. 

So I turn to you, smart people of the forum to ask what I should do. Any advice would be appreciated! 

~Fox

I mean, thats a pretty old gpu. I don't think that oculus link is even compatible with it so if you do want to play with link, you are going to have to upgrade. Although these delays can give you some time to save up.

3 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

I mean, thats a pretty old gpu. I don't think that oculus link is even compatible with it so if you do want to play with link, you are going to have to upgrade. Although these delays can give you some time to save up.

Not compatible? As in the I/O or even if I got an adapter it wouldnt work?

2 minutes ago, FoxFire said:

Not compatible? As in the I/O or even if I got an adapter it wouldnt work?

Yes. It's just flat out not compatable. But you wouldn't need a io adapter because it just needs a avalible usb 3 port (on the motherboard).

2 minutes ago, Retro_R said:

Yes. It's just flat out not compatable. But you wouldn't need a io adapter because it just needs a avalible usb 3 port (on the motherboard).

I see! Thanks for that bit. Which GPU would you recommend? The 2060 or the 2060 super? Also which brand? It probably doesnt matter that much on which brand I suppose. 

You could check ebay etc for a used 1070.

I picked up before Christmas for $220 CAD ($165 US)

within 10% of a 2060.

Otherwise the faster the card the better for VR

2 minutes ago, trufret said:

You could check ebay etc for a used 1070.

I picked up before Christmas for $220 CAD ($165 US)

within 10% of a 2060.

Otherwise the faster the card the better for VR

Thanks! I shall take a look. 

14 minutes ago, FoxFire said:

I see! Thanks for that bit. Which GPU would you recommend? The 2060 or the 2060 super? Also which brand? It probably doesnt matter that much on which brand I suppose. 

I mean, the 2060 is cheaper (5600 xt is also a viable option being cheaper and having a bit more power) which you can use to save up for the quest. But the 2060 super (or also 5700xt is viable) is a better performer. But you can also take the suggestion of a used 1070 if you're willing to risk bying used and save up even more for the quest.