Windows 9x Virual PC edition.

I built a win9x virtual machine in virtualbox that supports 32mb GPU ram and uses full 2gb ram.

I'm not going to go into technical discussion of how to build it just an overview with a few screenshots.

Media player 10 in an os that supports windows media 9

windows 7 superbar in Windows millennium whoah!

Win Me step up respects 98se so much that even windows 98 web view desktop wallpaper has windows 98 on it (must be a bug)

GPU driver is a reference generic type that allows opengl but not direct x. Hypervisors prefer high res and colour for windows in general.

Archive.org has heaps of sources to build it and other places online with google.

My method is install windows 98se with system memory set to 512mb  install autopatcher with all its unofficial goodies

After its done not upgrade or install a *windows millennium retail or oem but **millennium step up edition it respects unofficial patches and extends memory support to 2gb with custom system.ini file  tweaking.

there are tools that allow millennium's system file protection to be disabled thus allowing custom desktop themes to run.

On bare hardware, 2gb ram support is great for large AGP GPU arpeture support (always good to have double system ram in comparison to GPU memory size which works for me even with windows 10)

So, there you have it folks an app to build when bored or nostalgic and for the record millennium has never given me any grief :)

Method works for hypervisors and real hardware.

*poster owns legit licenses for windows all.

**software used was for personal research, evaluation and educational purposes.

win9x3.jpg

win9x.png

That’s probably wise.  The phrase  “Windows 9x” is going to create massive amounts of WTF type stuff as it is so rare it only arguably even exists, is largely unknown, and was denied to almost everyone.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 1 year later...

just a script from archive.org and millennium protection is disabled then, everything runs as good as windows 98se. Thing is I patched the OS to utilise up to 4096mb ram and it only uses that much with 32gb ram on the Physical test machine an asus a88x plus with 4ghz 4 core cpu (only 1 core runs it) but the GPU omg a SiS 6326 WITH 4MB RAM ON PCI BUS a bit old but not as slow as a pentium 4 behind it! memory above 4gb I have found a dos driver to create an 16gb ram disk before windows loads and i have windws copy itself into ram fat32 prior to launch on this 32gb ram system.  High res audio recordings in ram no lag! the hard disk sleeps almost always. Rudolph Loew - RIP his family made his dos / win stuff open source for everyone to get into it for free worth a look!