Spilled water on psu :(

Olli suomi perkele XD

Hello!

I spilled water on my psu the pc was fine for couple of seconds then it shutted down randomly and then it tried turn on but nothing showed up on screen then shutted off and again tried to turn on this lasted for couple on seconds i switched the switch on the back of the psu it didnt help then in unplugged the pc from the wall. So i was just wondering did the psu break my entire pc or just itself?

And i have high quality bequiet system power 9 500w bronze and msi b250 krait gaming motherboard i read from their websites that they should have overvoltage and short circuit protection on them.

uhhhhhhhh dont use that power supply ever again if thats the only thing that got water on it. you can try to see if ur system still works with some other supply tho

Short circuit protection can mean several things. It could be a timed circuit breaker, it could be a fuse, it could be a relay, and each of those could influence how the power supply recovers.

Generally, it's a bad idea to use a compromised power supply, even if it's been fully dried out.

Edit: all ATX power supplies are required to have some sort of OCP to reduce the risk of a fire, so if a power supply doesn't have it, it's not a good sign. Any self-respecting manufacturer will add that in some way or another.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

You can try to let it dry and see it works after... though next time I recommend immediately disconnecting the power and not power it up until you are sure no water is inside anymore.

to test your hardware you need a working power supply, so after drying if it does not work, see if you can borrow a power supply from somebody to test your system before you buy a new one, I don't know where the water got/how much got there.

Be absolutely sure that everything is dry.

1 minute ago, YoRegular said:

You can try to let it dry and see it works after... though next time I recommend immediately disconnecting the power and not power it up until you are sure no water is inside anymore.

to test your hardware you need a working power supply, so after drying if it does not work, see if you can borrow a power supply from somebody to test your system before you buy a new one, I don't know where the water got/how much got there.

Be absolutely sure that everything is dry.

The reply's above me are clearly from more responsible people than me, if you value safety listen to them.

12 minutes ago, Joshcanread said:

uhhhhhhhh dont use that power supply ever again if thats the only thing that got water on it. you can try to see if ur system still works with some other supply tho

I will try another psu tomorrow but i was just wondering could my psu have broken any other parts in my pc?

1 hour ago, Olli suomi perkele XD said:

Hello!

I spilled water on my psu the pc was fine for couple of seconds then it shutted down randomly and then it tried turn on but nothing showed up on screen then shutted off and again tried to turn on this lasted for couple on seconds i switched the switch on the back of the psu it didnt help then in unplugged the pc from the wall. So i was just wondering did the psu break my entire pc or just itself?

And i have high quality bequiet system power 9 500w bronze and msi b250 krait gaming motherboard i read from their websites that they should have overvoltage and short circuit protection on them.

You shouldn't turn on your PC right after it shuts down from having water poured over it, what were you thinking...

6 hours ago, ZzLy said:

You shouldn't turn on your PC right after it shuts down from having water poured over it, what were you thinking...

No i think i said it wrong because i have bad english :DD it turned on without me pressing anything i even switched the switch on the back of the psu and nothing happened the pc was just turning on and off then i unplugged the psu cable from the wall

8 hours ago, Olli suomi perkele XD said:

Hello!

Just broken psu nothng else just a panic atttck when i googled that can broken psu break parts and it said yes and it will break the other parts on the pc.....

Dumped my whole res onto mine will gaming. Only realized once it started to stutter. 
Sprayed it with electrical cleaner and put a space heater on it afterward. No issues but no reason for it to have one.

It didn’t trip or anything so that’s prolly the difference. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

16 hours ago, kimsejin5 said:

Edit: all ATX power supplies are required to have some sort of OCP to reduce the risk of a fire, so if a power supply doesn't have it, it's not a good sign. Any self-respecting manufacturer will add that in some way or another.

They're not "required" to have jack shit.

I'd guess it is possible something else could have been damaged but you will not really know until you get a new power supply.

If it was me I would just not use the pc until everything was dried out and I had replaced the power supply.

Especially since bronze power supplies generally don't cost that much. Why risk it.