WinXP setup error

Shrek69
Go to solution Solved by TempestCatto,

That BSOD code is for inaccessible boot device. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324103/advanced-troubleshooting-for-stop-error-code-0x0000007b-inaccessible-b

In the BIOS, try switching SATA mode to IDE instead of AHCI.

Good evening!

So basically i burnt an ISO image of Windows XP (SP3 64bit + SATA drivers according to source) on a CD, which worked because the setup is about 640MB. I do own a legitimate copy of Windows XP but the CD doesnt anymore because it was dropped and broke some time ago so i had to burn the CD. I want to install XP on a 2nd SSD in my "old" laptop. Just to be safe i selected MBR for my desired windows XP location since GPT doesnt work according to the interwebs but i didnt format the drive since usually you can do that in the advanced windows setup. With legacy boot enabled my laptop will launch the boot process from the CD but unfortunately during installation i will get a bluescreen (image provided). It happened 3 times in a row and i dont know how i can fix it. I am going to include all the specs because it might be relevant for trouble shooting. Also none of the drives on my laptop have viruses. I did a clean install a couple of days ago where i formatted everything and I also have malwarebytes installed on it so i dont know why the windows setup would think that could be possible.

thanks in advance folks!

Acer laptop

i7 4702MQ

16GB RAM

Nvidia gt 750M

1xSamsung 840 evo 250GB SATA (desired drive for XP)

1xSamsung 840 evo mSATA with Windows 10 installed

1xSamsung 1TB HDD

bluescreen_WinXP install.jpg

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

That BSOD code is for inaccessible boot device. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/324103/advanced-troubleshooting-for-stop-error-code-0x0000007b-inaccessible-b

In the BIOS, try switching SATA mode to IDE instead of AHCI.

ah that might be it thanks, will try that

PS: why do i need IDE when i boot but not when i want to use the CD/DVD drive in windows?

Just now, Shrek69 said:

ah that might be it thanks, will try that

PS: why do i need IDE when i boot but not when i want to use the CD/DVD drive in windows?

From the short reading I just did, may be related to the drivers not being compatable with your specific controller.

When you switch SATA modes, your other boot drive will likely blue screen as well. You may have to boot into Windows 10 with AHCI enabled and install legacy IDE drivers, or reinstall. I know this was the case with Windows 7, I'm not sure how 10 will handle it - but when you switch to IDE just boot to 10 and see what happens.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

From the short reading I just did, may be related to the drivers not being compatable with your specific controller.

When you switch SATA modes, your other boot drive will likely blue screen as well. You may have to boot into Windows 10 with AHCI enabled and install legacy IDE drivers, or reinstall. I know this was the case with Windows 7, I'm not sure how 10 will handle it - but when you switch to IDE just boot to 10 and see what happens.

seems to work now with IDE, i will keep you updated

3 minutes ago, Shrek69 said:

seems to work now with IDE, i will keep you updated

Glad it's working, and glad to see XP is still alive.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

still not finished

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

stp.thumb.jpg.175f5572abee6b83ca6c2db487242853.jpgfingers crossed

FYI windows XP 64 bit is the most unstable piece of OS i have ever encountered. I highly suggest you use the 32 bits. Most driver where half baked if they even exist. Memory management doesn't work well and can randomly crash and 99% third party (never seen any supporting but leaving space to possibility) in business world will just deny you support as soon you mention it's XP 64 bits. I am working as programmer and i never a single time could get support when issues occured on XP 64 bits so our company did like most other dev company and denied all support of their apps if ran under XP 64bits