Using modem as a router (IP problem)

marsumestari

I have an interesting scenario.

I have an Asus DSL-N66U modem/router, that I want to use only as a router.

What I have done so far:

1. Connect internet cable from wall to Ethernet WAN slot

2. Set up wireless as usual through 192.168.1.1 (Internet won't work)

3. Then disable DHCP from router's LAN settings (Internet won't work)

4. Change the internet cable from Ethernet WAN slot to one of usual LAN ports

5. Internet starts to work BUT my default gateway changes from 192.168.1.1 to 176.xx.xxx.x

The result is that internet works as it should but now I cannot enter router settings anymore.

I have tried to set up different IP for the router but still the IP changes to 176.xx etc. after the set up.

And if I change the internet cable back to Ethernet WAN slot, I still cannot enter router settings.

My question then is: Is it possible to set up the router (as I described) and so that I can use the normal gateway 192.168.1.1?

It should be as simple as ISP Line -> Modem -> WAN on Router -> LAN/All your devices.

Have you tried factory resetting the router then plugging everything in? The WAN interface should collect your public IP and on the LAN interfaces the Routers WebUI will be viewable.

I have seen on some of these VDSL Modem/routers that DHCP is disabled by default. You have have to setup a static address to configure everything.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:38 AM, marsumestari said:

The result is that internet works as it should but now I cannot enter router settings anymore.

That's to be expected, when you do that you're bridging the WAN side so only one host obtains a public IP on the inside.

There should be a WAN setting to indicate which port it should be using for the Internet, you'd want to change it off of the DSL one and put in for Cable/Fiber/WAN instead.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 1/25/2020 at 7:47 PM, Windows7ge said:

Have you tried factory resetting the router then plugging everything in?

Yes I have tried this but with no results.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:47 PM, Windows7ge said:

You have have to setup a static address to configure everything

Do you mean static address for webUI?

10 hours ago, marsumestari said:

Yes I have tried this but with no results.

Do you mean static address for webUI?

Alright. You seem to be able to access the WebUI so disregard that bit. If you connect Modem -> WAN, then your computers -> LAN and enter the WebUI go to the WAN settings. Does your Public IP appear in the WAN configuration?

I have an interesting scenario.

I have an Asus DSL-N66U modem/router, that I want to use only as a router.

What I have done so far:

1. Connect internet cable from wall to Ethernet WAN slot

2. Set up wireless as usual through 192.168.1.1 (Internet won't work)

3. Then disable DHCP from router's LAN settings (Internet won't work)

5. Internet starts to work BUT my default gateway changes from 192.168.1.1 to 176.xx.xxx.x

I have tried to set up different IP for the router but still the IP changes to 176.xx etc. after the set up.

And if I change the internet cable back to Ethernet WAN slot, I still cannot enter router settings.

My question then is: Is it possible to set up the router (as I described) and so that I can use the normal gateway 192.168.1.1?

You are getting a public ip which means you need to do NAT, connect the internet cable to the ethernet wan port and enable DHCP (so that your computer gets an ip)

If your computer receives another ip and you want to access the router you need to give your computer a static ip in the same range as the router.