Normalize your Audio!

This is just a general statement, please freaking Normalize your audio. Meaning try and keep your final audio levels equal through your entire video. Narrative work is different, but basically anything else, keep it even people.

So many YouTube channels (big ones) don't seem to give a damn about this and if is maddening.

If I have to adjust the volume more than once in a video, you've failed. Espeically when I have to turn it up for a quiet talking part then get blasted by music or louder speech the next moment. 

Pick an output volume level and stick to it. Some channels vary from video to video, so if I want to binge their content I'm constantly adjusting my volume again. Personally I aim for -12dB all across the board. Sound effects I allow up to about -6 in the briefest of instances. Speech or music I try not to go over -12dB in more than spikes. I normalize my Audio in Adobe Audition to -11dB so that the few spikes I may have are louder but the average is more like -12. 

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. LTT is pretty good about this unless someone isn't mic'd up, but so many others aren't. Whatculture is the absolute biggest culprit that comes to mind. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

Not just across a single video, across all videos on a channel.  There's too many videos where every video requires a volume change.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

As long as its done right.

What I find worse than having to adjust the volume myself, is when its automatic normalised (like TV/radio broadcasts do) and any loud noise causes everything else to be dropped down to inaudible levels for a few seconds while it ramps back up gradually.  Its not just unpleasant, I find it disorienting.

Even done manually its annoying, which is frustrating as the BBC have started doing it with nature documentaries.  When Attenborough speaks they drop the music volume, then crank it back up when he isn't.  I assume its to compensate for people watching on TVs but damned distracting on a 7.1 setup as it causes a swing from surround sound to everything coming from the centre and back again.

Just keep the music low enough to hear the speech ffs.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Not just across a single video, across all videos on a channel.  There's too many videos where every video requires a volume change.

Agreed. I honestly wish I had chosen something slightly louder for my videos. If I watch one of mine then another channel I often have to turn down for other channels videos. But I don't change it because I want all of my videos to he uniform. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

Boobtube (aka YouTube) has gotten really bad about having music that is dramatically louder than the narrative. To say it's annoying is like saying Hitler was just a little stinker.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!