possible testing gpu riser cable without installing it?

frozensun

A friend of mine for this cable and would like to sell it to me.

Sadly we here can't find brand new at all cuz no one uses gpu in vertical alligment.

He didn't want money he just told me to try.

But both my mobo and gpu very expensive so I don't want to risk damaging any of them.

Is there a risk of damaging either of them if the cable is bad?

I read a review and found this abotu this cable:

"This was my first riser which was bundled with the chassis. I decided to add it to this review as a precaution. There are no benchmarks done with this cable, because it doesn’t work anymore. It turned out to be extremely fragile and yes I was aware how fragile risers are, but it still did not prevent the damage. After reading some forums it appears that this kind of risers tend to be a hit or miss. Chances are that your cable may not work the moment you have it installed. Since they cost half of what premium cables do, I would recommend going for a premium cable instead."

source:videocardz
So I sent message to this dude and he told me that usually this kind of cable works only at max pcie 2.0 but to try and see what would happen.

I can post pictures of the cable if someone is interested to help me.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Yea if the cable is bad from the factory it could cause a short if it somehow passed qc. Or if it has some sort of physical damage that crosses the wires it could do the same thing. But you should be able to see that. 

Testing the resistance or applying a bit of power through each wire could be a way to check continuity. Unless you have the proper tools to check it. 

Or not be so worried about it and just rest it the old fashioned way. Doesn’t matter how much hardware costs. You put your gpu in your mobo without testing the pci slots and checking for debris. Just a guess anyway. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yea if the cable is bad from the factory it could cause a short if it somehow passed qc. Or if it has some sort of physical damage that crosses the wires it could do the same thing. But you should be able to see that. 

Testing the resistance or applying a bit of power through each wire could be a way to check continuity. Unless you have the proper tools to check it. 

Or not be so worried about it and just rest it the old fashioned way. Doesn’t matter how much hardware costs. You put your gpu in your mobo without testing the pci slots and checking for debris. Just a guess anyway. 

how would you test it?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

17 minutes ago, frozensun said:

how would you test it?

Like I just said, test continuity. Resistance. If each trace checks out, it shouldn’t cause any shorts or faults. 
But I wouldn’t test it. I’d put it in my rig and go from there. Or buy a new one. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Being a crappy cable won’t damage anything. Risk is quite low. 
Just put it in. Did the same thing with my $500 mobo and a pair of $1,000 gpus without a second thought. 

On 1/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, Mick Naughty said:

Being a crappy cable won’t damage anything. Risk is quite low. 
Just put it in. Did the same thing with my $500 mobo and a pair of $1,000 gpus without a second thought. 

I'm still affraid,I'm so anxious about it.

I have a 8 year old card,I could try the cable with it,but the only thing on my mind is:guy is selling me damaged cable and it will damage my card...

Is there a way to figure out if the cable is used or not?

I can picture it...

4 hours ago, frozensun said:

I'm still affraid,I'm so anxious about it.

I have a 8 year old card,I could try the cable with it,but the only thing on my mind is:guy is selling me damaged cable and it will damage my card...

Is there a way to figure out if the cable is used or not?

I can picture it...

If it’s used? Could have marks from installation. Doesn’t matter if it’s used or not but if you are so worried but a new one. Seems quite simple.