Can't get a wired connection on any of my devices

PackYourBaggins

So I recently moved and since I got my setup put back together, my PC will only receive a WiFi connection. Same for my laptop. At first I thought it was the ethernet switch I was using, but I just tried connecting my PC straight to the router, and it also didn't work. It stays on WiFi.  ̶ ̶M̶y̶ ̶N̶i̶n̶t̶e̶n̶d̶o̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶e̶i̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶u̶t̶e̶r̶s̶. At my previous house, I had the EXACT same ISP and plan as I do here at my new house. Also when I click in the bottom right to bring up available networks, it says "Unidentified network" next to a wired connection symbol. It shows similar things in my Ethernet settings in Windows. I'll post screenshots of what I'm seeing. What can I do? 

EDIT: I was incorrect. The Nintendo Switch is NOT getting a wired connection either.

Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_11.png

you have separate modem and router or they the same box?  Can you login to your modem/router and see if some of the settings have changed?  Strange that your Nintendo is connecting thru wire....does the Nintendo have wifi...can you disable it to make sure it's the wired connection that's working?

Also, can you attempt to connect to the ethernet and disable wifi on your pc...then try to ping 8.8.8.8 ?

7 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

you have separate modem and router or they the same box?  Can you login to your modem/router and see if some of the settings have changed?  Strange that your Nintendo is connecting thru wire....does the Nintendo have wifi...can you disable it to make sure it's the wired connection that's working?

Also, can you attempt to connect to the ethernet and disable wifi on your pc...then try to ping 8.8.8.8 ?

So I just ran a wired connection test on my Nintendo Switch, and apparently it's NOT getting a wired connection either. I added an edit to my post to reflect this now. And my router and modem are separate. The router is an Arris Touchstone CM8200 and the WiFi modem is from eero. 

As far as doing what you suggested in that last line, what are the steps involved with that? I'm bad with networking/internet issues.

can you run a wire directly to the eero modem?  Might mean unplugging your router from it if it only has one connection.  Then do you see a good ethernet connection?  If not...can you open a command line and enter "ping 8.8.8.8" and hit enter?

8 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Eventually you likely will have to login to your router using these instructions...then figure out why it won't allow a wired connection...I'm assuming you are attempting to wire your pc and switch directly to the router and not the modem?

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/router/arris/touchstone-cm8200/5503/

That's correct. How I had it setup previously was I had my Arris router and eero modem. Then I had my tp-link switch which gives me 4 extra ethernet ports. So I connected my ethernet switch to the router, then I connected my PC to the ethernet switch. Then voila! I had a wired connection on my PC, my PS4 and my Nintendo Switch.

Also I tried connecting my ethernet switch to the eero modem, and that also didn't work. I connected my computer directly to the eero modem as well which also didn't work. I then ran the ping in Command Prompt like you said. Is there something I should be looking for in these results?

You should get back "0% loss" if you are chatting with outside world by ethernet conenction...like this.  Ok...so can you unplug the power plug for your eero modem for like 60 seconds...then plug it back into the electrical socket...then give it time to boot up (can take up to 5 minutes on some) and then hard wire your pc directly to it...and then again perform the "ping" test ?

image.png.d44146c77a30e80bf629858144d139c0.png

And you are sure the wifi you are connecting to is your wifi and not your neighbor's ?  I know that might be a stupid question.

If that doesn't work...try logging into your eero modem using these instructions: https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207937603-How-do-I-set-up-eero-

It might be just going thru the setup of both the modem and router all over again may fix your problems.  By the time you're done you'll be a certified network technician ;) 

28 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

You should get back "0% loss" if you are chatting with outside world by ethernet conenction...like this.  Ok...so can you unplug the power plug for your eero modem for like 60 seconds...then plug it back into the electrical socket...then give it time to boot up (can take up to 5 minutes on some) and then hard wire your pc directly to it...and then again perform the "ping" test ?

image.png.d44146c77a30e80bf629858144d139c0.png

23 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

And you are sure the wifi you are connecting to is your wifi and not your neighbor's ?  I know that might be a stupid question.

8 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

If that doesn't work...try logging into your eero modem using these instructions: https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207937603-How-do-I-set-up-eero-

It might be just going thru the setup of both the modem and router all over again may fix your problems.  By the time you're done you'll be a certified network technician ;) 

I tried resetting the eero and hardwiring through it again, but unfortunately nothing changed. And yes, I'm sure it's my network I'm connected to lol. Also I appear to have mixed up the router and the modem. Not that it matters I guess. The eero is the router and the Arris is the modem. I always confuse the 2.

But anyway, I'm starting to think I may need to give my ISP another call. When I called them last night, I thought it was an issue with only my ethernet switch which wasn't provided by them. But now I'm starting to realize it's probably an issue with my router or modem. Or maybe both.

yeah I had to get my service provider to accept and register my modem before it would start working after moving.  that doesn't explain why your wifi works though...